The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 16th, 2024, 5:03am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Modeling 50 ohm transmission line in Spectre (Read 1120 times)
Sunny

Modeling 50 ohm transmission line in Spectre
Jul 29th, 2004, 1:47pm

I've tried using the "tline" element in Spectre's analoglib to model 50 ohm board traces, but it's not very clear what properties need to be specified for this element, and what values I should use. Tried looking up help in Spectre, but didn't help much

I'm trying to model the board traces so that they can be included in a 50 ohm differential driver design.
What properties need to be defined?
I'm currently using:
charac. impedance: 50
delay time (for a 1" trace on FR4): 145pS
Frequency: ?? (100Mhz to 1GHz signals)
(Is it frequency of the signal I'm not sure why this is needed)
normalized length: ?
v1 ??
i1 ??
v2 ??
i2 ??
propagation velocity normalized ??
Normalized length : The documentation says "Normalized electrical length in wavelengths at 'f'
of a lossless line. What is 'f'? It's not frequency (that is freq).
What is reference frequency?
Loss resistance and conductance per unit length (not sure about the numbers for these for
50 ohm microstrip on FR4)

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Mighty Mouse
Community Member

Here I come to save
the day!

Fantasyland
Re: Modeling 50 ohm transmission line in Spectre
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2004, 5:25pm

There are three different ways of specifying the electrical length of a tline. You can simply specify it in seconds using td. Or you can specify it in wavelengths, using nl and f, in which case td=nl/f. Or you can specify it in meters using len and vel, in which case td=len/(vel*c).

For your case, it is sufficient to use "z0=50 nl=145pS" to model a lossless line.

- MM -

View Profile   IP Logged
Mighty Mouse
Community Member

Here I come to save
the day!

Fantasyland
Re: Modeling 50 ohm transmission line in Spectre
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2004, 5:37pm

By the way, the tline is best suited for modeling coax lines. You would be better off using LMG (line model generator) to produce an mtline model. LMG allows you to describe the line in terms of its physical dimensions and properties of the materials.

- MM -

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.