The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 4:15am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Transmission line modeling & Testing... (Read 20074 times)
ramana_akula

Transmission line modeling & Testing...
Apr 25th, 2006, 12:01am

Hi..
       i want to model transmission line(verilog-A or AHDL). does any one of u had the idea???

generally we know RLGC model(this is for unit lenght).. i donno hw to get length parameter into picture.. i mean length need to be specified as parameter..  
                                 waiting for ur replies..
Thanks,
Ramana...

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Transmission line modeling & Testing...
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2006, 1:54am

Why do this in Verilog-A when spectre has a built-in component (mtline) which will do this for you directly?

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ramana_akula

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2006, 1:59am

Hi Andrew.. Thanks for ur reply..
          just i want to know hw spectre or spice implemented these transmission lines.. i just want to go through code for knowledge.. that's it..

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - May 15th, 2006, 7:03am

Well, good luck. I'd say it would be pretty complex to model this in Verilog-A!

Andrew.

Jess Chen
Community Fellow

California Bay Area
Reply #4 - May 15th, 2006, 7:59am

VerilogA is most functional in simulators like Spectre and SPICE. (VerilogA is somehwat crippled in all RF simulators I know because of the hidden state problem.) Those simulators were designed to solve ordinary differential equations, not partial differential equations. Transmission lines are described by partial differential equations. The only way I know of to make partial differential equations look like ordinary differential equations is with lumped approximations; chop the transmission line up into small segments, say of length delta. The trick is to find delta. The lumped approximation for a section of length delta is a pi or T or L network with RLGC scaled by delta, and perhaps 1/2, depending on which network you select. As I recall, I determined the number of segments by first determining the shortest delay of interest, then computing how far a pulse propagates in that time, and then dividing that distance by 20. I believe there's a similar frequency domain approach. The factor of 20 was just a rule of thumb based on trial and error. If you want more accuracy, you need small deltas. As for implementation, you need not write out a RLGC line for each segment, you can use the generate command. Since the segments are linear, you should not have any convergence issues but you may see slow run times if you have lots of lines and/or lots of segments.

Harmonic balance based RF simulators can handle linear partial differential equations directly because they allow you to describe the system in the frequency domain. If you have access to one, you may be able to use an envelope option if your stimulus is not periodic. However, I don't think you will be able to use VerilogA with a harmonic balance simulator because to my knowledge, VerilogA does not let you describe behavior in the frequency domain, unless it is a noise look up table. I'm not 100% sure but I think you can enter look up table transfer functions in most hb simulators, without using VerilogA.

-Jess

View Profile   IP Logged
ramana_akula

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2006, 11:09pm

HI Jess
          Thanks alot for ur information... i was unable to understand the trick for determing delta.can u plz tell me wat will be general spec for shortest delay...can u plz explain further..
    1) suppose i want to have a model for 1m tx line.. hw many no.of segments(lumped)  needed.
    2) sud i need use ABCD parameters for interconnection of these segments.... u told about generate statement

with suggestions,i want to use spectre AHDL...i was not restricted to verilog-A.. just i want to test my lumped model segment for tx.line..
              Thanks Jess.. waiting for ur reply..
              Thanks to Andrew for his caution..
-Ramana..

View Profile   IP Logged
Jess Chen
Community Fellow

California Bay Area
Reply #6 - May 16th, 2006, 8:25am

Hi Ramana,

I use the following approach, which is empirical in nature. Let the maximum frequency of interest be fmax in Hz. Assume the line has L Henrys/meter and C Farads/meter. The propagation velocity, vp, is

vp = 1/sqrt(LC).

The minimum wavelength, lambda, is defined as

lambda = vp/fmax.

Let X be the length of your line. The number of segments, N, is

N = 20*X/lambda.

"20" is the empirical part. I found that 20 gives a pretty good match between lumped and distributed models. Your segment parameters will then be

L*X/N Henrys
C*X/N Farads
G*X/N Mhos
R*X/N Ohms

I hope this helps.

-Jess

View Profile   IP Logged
Jess Chen
Community Fellow

California Bay Area
Reply #7 - May 16th, 2006, 3:31pm

I forgot to say something about the "generate" statement. For a good example of how to use the generate statement, look at some of the filters in the rfLib. For example, check out the filter.h file in the butterworth_lp directory. My only caution is that it will be hard to parameterize the number of segments because you cannot parameterize the number of internal nodes. It is for exactly that reason that the behavioral filters in rfLib do not follow the usual file structure. To parameterize the order of the filter, Cadence resorted to a netlisting procedure. It was messy but it worked. You can still make the lumped model somewhat flexible by using `define. With `define, at least you only have to change one line in the veriloga.va file.

-Jess

View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Reply #8 - May 21st, 2006, 9:32am

Transmission line in HSPICE you may represent as a W-element.

If you don't have time to do it good
you will find time to do it again
View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2006, 2:53am

And in Verilog-AMS, I often want the line to be represented as discrete values (1/0) so
I calculate only the delay from the length.. generally I can live with a single direction signal.

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.