The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 10:54pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PSRR of VCO simulation in spectreRF (Read 11602 times)
Roky

PSRR of VCO simulation in spectreRF
Aug 17th, 2004, 4:11am

Hi all,

I want to simulate the PSRR of a VCO circuit. For this purpose I use the PSS analysis in spectreRF together with an PAC analysis. The PAC source with magnitude of 1 I’ve placed in the ground connection. For the start up of the VCO I use the node set in convergence aids in cadence analog environment (or a pulse source as an kicker – doesn’t matter the result is the same). Ok, and here is my problem: The PAC result shows a DC gain (f=0) of 90dB, which is an absolutely unrealistic result. I found out that the DC gain value depends on the node set settings (or the amplitude of my kicker)… The problem is that I have to use the node set settings for the start up of the VCO.

Please could someone help me….

I’ve tried to simulate the PSRR of the cadence oscillator (from the rf examples Lib) and the PAC effect was approx. the same.

Thx a lot Roky

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2004, 7:32am by Roky »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: PSRR of VCO simulation in spectreRF
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2004, 12:35am

Your results are not very surprising if your f=0 is really a delta_f=0. The PAC gain should in fact go towards infinity for delta_f->0, see section 3 of http://www.designers-guide.com/Analysis/PLLnoise+jitter.pdf.

I currently have no explanation as to why the result would depend on the initial conditions for the oscillator, except perhaps numerical issues related to the very large gain. Are the differences very significant?

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2004, 5:17am by Frank Wiedmann »  
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Roky

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2004, 7:13am

Hi Frank,

Thank u a lot for your answer. I’ve red the article from Ken. My problem is that the initial conditions shift the result up and down (in the desired freq range too). I’ve also tried the PXF analysis, as cadence recommends, and the result is approx. the same. But I can’t understand the dc gain of 90dB. This result would predict that the VCO amplifies ground disturbances in range of (0 to few MHz), and I can’t believe it. In the PAC form I’ve checked out the absolute sweep type. Another point is that start up conditions should not have an influence to my PAC result, but they have.

Only what I need is a transfer function from my disturbance source in the ground to output, but the result should be realistic.

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2004, 8:34am

First of all, you should probably find out why your oscillation frequency depends on the initial conditions (I hope I understood you correctly here). You might want to try setting the Accuracy Defaults to conservative. If the results of the PSS analysis are different, it is not very surprising that the results of the following PAC analysis differ as well.

The fact that you have a very large PAC gain from DC might indicate that your oscillation frequency depends on the power supply voltage or that your PAC source is modifying your effective tuning voltage because the tuning voltage source has a separate ground connection in your simulation setup.

« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2004, 11:17pm by Frank Wiedmann »  
Jitter Man
Community Member

Am I? Or am I so
sane that u just
blew your mind?

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2004, 2:25pm

The phase noise results from early versions of SpectreRF would occasionally vary as a function of either initial condition or tstab. I recommend that you upgrade to a more recent version.

Jitter Man

Roky

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2004, 5:38am

Hi Frank,

My oscilation frequency doesn’t change with initial conditions. The pss result remains the same with different initial conditions, only what changes is the PAC result. Frank, would u be so kind and explain me why should the PAC result reach infinity @ f=0.

Hi Jitter man,
                 I tried it with, SpectreRF 4, and with SpectreRF5, the result is the same…

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2004, 7:22am

If your PAC source changes the oscillation frequency, you will get very large phase deviations for low PAC input frequencies because the phase difference accumulates over a long time. For f=0, you will get an infinite phase deviation because the phase difference accumulates over an infinite time.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.