The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 7:29am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verilog-A model for VCO (Read 834 times)
Rohan Batra

Verilog-A model for VCO
Nov 02nd, 2004, 11:19pm

I am trying to write a verilog-A model for a VCO. But instead of the voltage out vs voltage in relationship, I want to model a frequency out vs voltage in relationship. Is there anyway to describe the output as a "frequency" discipline type. I know that you can declare something as a "voltage" or "phase" in verilog-A.

IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Re: Verilog-A model for VCO
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2004, 4:46pm

Rohan,

Do it all the time, but I have always just output the
frequency as a voltage. Never actually seen anyone
create a separate discipline to do this. Have you tried
defining a new discipline for frequency in the discipline.vams,
(for Spectre) file? If you update the file you file, you need
to point to the correct one in module.

Best Regards,

Art Schaldenbrand

View Profile   IP Logged
Eugene

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2005, 9:51pm

I also usually just represent frequency with a voltaqe. The trick is to choose the right frequency units (GHz, MHz, etc.) to keep numbers reasonable. I use voltage primarily because that node is a convenient place to insert a zero-voltage DC voltage source, with AC magnitude=1, to compute loop gain. I think you will have to create a Verilog A module for this source if you use a frequency discipline. However, if you use voltage, you can use the Spectre primitive. Another reason I usually choose the electrical discipline is that, being an electrical engineer, it is often easier for me to introduce filters using RLCs instead of creating another verilogA block for a Laplace transform. I also wonder if the simulation runs faster with primitives instead of Laplace blocks.

View Profile   IP Logged
gogomi

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2005, 9:42pm

Hi,

Just wondering if you use voltage to represent frequency, then how do you model the phase?
Do you also use voltage?

gogomi

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.