The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 29th, 2024, 5:15am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NMOS or PMOS input devices?? (Read 2243 times)
student-designer

NMOS or PMOS input devices??
Nov 30th, 2004, 3:23am

Hi!

I am designing an low-voltage, low-power fully differential OTA and i want to know which input pair will be the best (pmos or nmos).

For speed consideration I think nmos devices would be better, since they have a greater mobility compared to pmos devices.

But, Johns and Martin wirte something different in their book "Analog Integrated Circuit Design", Chapter 5.
They say, that for a given power dissipation (and bias current) having a PMOS input pair maximizes slew rate. They say that
slewrate=Veff*wta (where Veff is the drain source voltage for ensuring that the device is in saturation and wta is the unity gain frequency.)  Since PMOS have a higher Veff (assuming same W), the slewrate will be increased.

From a noise consideration (which is in my opinion important if for a low voltage supply the power dissipation should be minimized) NMOS devices contribute less thermal noise due to their smaller transconductance for  a given W/L and current.

What is now the best choice? NMOS or PMOS input devices?

Thanks!

IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: NMOS or PMOS input devices??
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2004, 5:12am

Hi,

Nothing is best if the application is not specified. Smiley First of all, please determine which is the most important in your design. Slew rate or noise? Or anything else?

As the points in "Analog Integrated Circuit Design," I think they are right.

The noise consideration is analyzed clearly on page 232, Analog Integrated Circuit Design.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
student-designer

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2004, 6:07am

Hi Yawei!

Thank you much for your answer!!

My task is to find the best opamp topology (this one that consumes the least power) that will be used as a switched capacitor integrator in a Sigma Delta Modulator.
Thus, i have the meet the specifications for sigma delta modulators: to achieve high speed (fast settling and slewing), and a high output swing. Gain is not an important factor (a dc gain of 60dB is enough, so I think I can use a single stage structure).

The challenge is  that the supply voltage is very low (1.8V, single ended) and so I think i also have to reduce the noise floor. .

Thanks for your answer again,
student-designer

IP Logged
afridi

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2011, 1:14am

What is the output current requirement of an OTA?

The more things you do, the more you can do.(Lucille Ball)
View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #4 - May 5th, 2011, 1:44am

You might want to look into class AB structures, if power is important.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - May 8th, 2011, 3:04pm

NMOS vs. PMOS input usually gets answered by a single question:

What are the requirements on the input voltage range?

Input down to ground = use PMOS

Input up to power supply = use NMOS

Input rail to rail = Use a double PMOS/NMOS double differential pair structure.

Generally (YMMV here) NMOS has a higher transconductance for every thing else equal.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #6 - May 13th, 2011, 8:47am

loose-electron wrote on May 8th, 2011, 3:04pm:
NMOS vs. PMOS input usually gets answered by a single question:

What are the requirements on the input voltage range?

Input down to ground = use PMOS

Input up to power supply = use NMOS

Input rail to rail = Use a double PMOS/NMOS double differential pair structure.

Generally (YMMV here) NMOS has a higher transconductance for every thing else equal.

Ha, LE nails it Wink. At one time PMOS were preferred because if you had a sudden transient on the diff pair there would be a slow settling effect with NMOS devices (sorry I forgot the mechanism - something like charge getting injected into the oxide). I haven't heard of this in a long time so the issue must have gone away.

NMOS have higher flicker noise so that is a downside. I can't think of any reason why a PMOS would inherently give lower slew rate [edit - I meant higher slew rate, rg]. A lower gm (~2I/Veff) gives better slew rate since you can use a smaller compensation cap, but Veff can be increased by decreasing the width. Of course less width means less area, which means more flicker noise and mismatch. But less width also means less input cap and less cap on the drain, and you often want to maximize gm to get highest bandwidth in load compensated designs, so you can see it is not a simple question to answer.

With a PMOS you can bias the well and get a little more common mode input range.

« Last Edit: May 13th, 2011, 12:59pm by RobG »  
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #7 - May 13th, 2011, 11:01am

NMOS will generally be faster because for the same transconductance or Rds in triode, the PMOS needs to be twice as big (roughly) because of the lower mobility of carriers in PMOS.

Jerry Twomey
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #8 - May 14th, 2011, 2:48pm

Also, flicker noise isn't an issue for the application (SC-integrator delta-sigma ADC) unless the poster is using a NASTY process.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #9 - May 16th, 2011, 5:33pm

both have flicker noise, no way around it (heck, a resistor has flicker noise in addition to the thermal noise!) - for single well processes, yeah you can play games with well bias, I agree.

Jerry Twomey
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2011, 1:37am

agree with Jerry fully. As for 1/f noise, that was only the ancient buried-channel PMOS devices that had better 1/f than NMOS. Nowadays, and that holds true even if you are talking 0.35um or so, the only reason for differences between PMOS and NMOS are foundry-specific and they are usually not so big, especially if you consider the spread that you can get on 1/f noise for either device type. It's just this myth of higher 1/f noise on NMOS that continues to this day. Of course, if you are really using one of those very old processes, like a 1 um CMOS or so, then you may have buried channel PMOS. But on the whole, NMOS is the better choice if your input common mode allows it.

The only reason I can think of for using a PMOS input pair would be if you were building a two-stage Miller-compensated opamp. Then the second stage would be an NMOS and would have higher gm for the same current making compensation easier.

Rob: cannot imagine why there would be slower slewing with NMOS than with PMOS. Are you sure you aren't mixing it up with some other device, or maybe there's something topology specific like people using a certain kind of amp in the old days that caused this.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #11 - May 18th, 2011, 8:04am

vivkr wrote on May 18th, 2011, 1:37am:
agree with Jerry fully. As for 1/f noise, that was only the ancient buried-channel PMOS devices that had better 1/f than NMOS. Nowadays, and that holds true even if you are talking 0.35um or so, the only reason for differences between PMOS and NMOS are foundry-specific and they are usually not so big, especially if you consider the spread that you can get on 1/f noise for either device type. It's just this myth of higher 1/f noise on NMOS that continues to this day. Of course, if you are really using one of those very old processes, like a 1 um CMOS or so, then you may have buried channel PMOS. But on the whole, NMOS is the better choice if your input common mode allows it.

The only reason I can think of for using a PMOS input pair would be if you were building a two-stage Miller-compensated opamp. Then the second stage would be an NMOS and would have higher gm for the same current making compensation easier.

Rob: cannot imagine why there would be slower slewing with NMOS than with PMOS. Are you sure you aren't mixing it up with some other device, or maybe there's something topology specific like people using a certain kind of amp in the old days that caused this.

Vivek

Vivek: Re Flicker Noise. I just did a sim in an 0.18um process (these are thick gate devices but that shouldn't change how the channel is created). I did simulations comparing a PMOS to an NMOS. One sim had both the areas and the gms the same (the fair comparison) and the other had same W and L (not really a fair comparison, but the end result was the same: PMOS had lower 1/f in this case).

So it looks like we are both wrong, but you're wronger Grin. At very low frequencies the NMOS is quieter, but at frequencies greater than 6 Hz I win. Actually, I win in this case since integrated 1/f noise will be ~2x greater for the NMOS in the case with equivalent gms which would be a proper comparison for an input diff pair or mirror - but given your comments and experience it wouldn't surprise me if sometimes this isn't true.

On the other hand, if your channel length is fixed at the minimum the same gm would result in the PMOS having more area so the PMOS would surely have significantly better 1/f in all cases.

Regarding slew rate: I actually said it shouldn't matter so I'm not confusing anything. The OP pointed out in the book by Martin that it says the PMOS has inherently better SR. This would only be true if the exact size was used, but there is no requirement for that to be the case. I did comment that when I first started designing (~20 years ago) there was some issue with the NMOS having a slow settling component when a fast transient was applied to the gate so maybe that is how the "PMOS is better" rumor got started in cases where 1/f didn't matter.

best,
rg

« Last Edit: May 18th, 2011, 10:05am by RobG »  
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #12 - May 20th, 2011, 8:00am

Rob,

You are quite right in showing this example. However, my comment was meant a little differently.

If we assume that flicker noise current density (power) is given as

I^2/df = Kf*Ids/(W*L)*f,

then we ought to ask if Kf is fundamentally different for PMOS and NMOS IN GENERAL, and not merely due to minor differences in doping profile or so. In other words, can we say with surety that the underlying mechanisms dictate that the PMOS will always have better 1/f noise than the NMOS as was clearly the case for buried channel PMOS where the P-channel was away from the surface.

Of course, that may sound a bit academic, but if I recall correctly, we have seen measurements of 1/f noise being performed on NMOS and PMOS transistors where the variability of the noise from device to device (of the same type) was so large that the difference between N and P type could often be neglected in comparison. Of course, you are right that the PMOS transistors generally tend to be slightly better than NMOS at the present moment.

There are of course all sorts of complications not captured in the rudimentary equation above. Both Ids and f carry their own coefficients which are also different for PMOS and NMOS, and the same as true for Kf.

I don't consider comparing NMOS and PMOS for the same gm, because then you inevitably have a larger PMOS and that gives a lower 1/f noise.

To summarize, one would probably want to choose PMOS rather than NMOS if 1/f noise were really THE critical item, although in most cases, I would still go with the NMOS as it has other advantages, and if one wishes to make a case for using PMOS inputs, then there are also other more compelling advantages than just 1/f as I already pointed out before (easier compensation of a 2-stage Miller).

But that was an interesting discussion nonetheless...

Regards,
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #13 - May 20th, 2011, 9:53am

Thanks for that info Vivek. I always thought NMOS were noisier for some physical reason, like the e- carriers more likely to be trapped, but I have no idea to be honest. Is the significant variability mostly for small devices? I expect they would be all over the place although I don't know what would constitute a "small" device.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that whichever device has higher output impedance would make a better diff pair in differential amps where the diffpair works against a current source. (Apparently it is controversial whether the NMOS or PMOS has higher Ro.) It is relatively easy to make the current sources higher impedance by making them longer since they aren't active. Thus you gain headroom since you don't need a cascode. The simulations I did indicate the PMOS has ~4x Ro of an NMOS so that would be a free 12dB gain if I'm to believe my simulations. Of course given my recent comments I can no longer believe my simulations in public forums.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.