The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 2:38pm
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Positive values of phase noise in dBc/Hz?? (Read 8131 times)
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Positive values of phase noise in dBc/Hz??
Reply #30 - Jul 06th, 2005, 9:41pm

There are several noise metrics that are often confused. They are:
Sphi - The power spectral density of the phase noise with units of rad2/Hz
Sv - The power spectral density of the voltage noise with units of v2/Hz
L - The power spectral density of the voltage noise normalized to the power in the carrier with units of dBc/Hz

As f -> 0, Sv and L are bounded but Sphi goes to infinity.

Three things add to this confusion:
1. When you request the "phase noise" from Artist, it actually gives you L, which is technically is not phase noise.
2. When computed with SpectreRF, Sv and L are unbounded as f -> 0 as a direct result that the noise analysis is a small signal analysis, as discussed starting at (9) in www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/rf-sim.pdf.
3. Sphi and L are often confused because they can have the same value (Sphi = L when using the double sided transform and Sphi = 2L when using the single sided transform, as can be seen from (27) of www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/PLLnoise+jitter.pdf).

Finally, it is possible to separate Sv (L) into its AM and PM component pieces. These  would have units of v2/Hz (dBc/Hz) and could be plotted on the same graph.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
chlai

Save the earth~

Taipei, Taiwan
Reply #31 - Jul 11th, 2005, 8:26pm

Hello Ken,
Thanks very much for your answer, which is quite enlightening me.

Indeed, not only the Sv and Sphi noise are confusing, but also AM and PM noise are.

In the limiter cycle, we have:
Quote:
Delta y(t) =  (1 + a(t))y(t + phi(t)/2*pi*fc) - y(t)

Can I determine a(t) means all the AM noise, and (phi(t)/2*pi*fc) means all the PM noise? And are these two noise observable at SpectreRF simulation result as AM and PM noise?
Besides, due to Sv includes AM and PM noise, and Sphi is only for PM noise. Does that mean a(t) belongs only to Sv noise, and (phi(t)/2*pi*fc) belongs to Sv and Sphi noise?

I am very appreciated for your answers, those help me a lot.
with Best regards,
Daniel lai

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2005, 10:54pm by chlai »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #32 - Jul 12th, 2005, 8:32am

Daniel,
   I believe you've got it.

-Ken

chlai

Save the earth~

Taipei, Taiwan
Reply #33 - Jul 14th, 2005, 7:37pm

dear Ken,

Because SV including AM and PM noise, the PM noise should equals to phi(t)/2*pi*fc in:
Quote:
Delta y(t) =  (1 + a(t))y(t + phi(t)/2*pi*fc) - y(t)

At the question of my last post, the PM noise (phi(t)/2*pi*fc) contribued not only in SV but Sphi. However, does PM noise contribute the same noise in SV and Sphi? If yes, we may use small signal approximation to calculate all the PM noise to voltage noise to generate SV. If no, maybe we need to know which parts in PM noise contributed in SV.

Thanks you for answering my questions with great patience.
Best regards,
Daniel

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #34 - Jul 17th, 2005, 8:43am

Remember that the phase and voltage are related in a nonlinear way (because y is a nonlinear function). So Sphi and the PM component of SV are not the same. However, in oscillators at high offset frequencies the phase noise is small and so through a small-signal assumption there is a linear relationship between them. The relationship depends on which form of the transform you use:
For single-sided transform (assuming large fm):
Sphi = L
For double-sided transform (assuming large fm):
Sphi = 2L
where in this case the AM component of SV is assumed negligible and L is SV normalilzed to the total power in the fundamental component.

-Ken

chlai

Save the earth~

Taipei, Taiwan
Reply #35 - Jul 18th, 2005, 7:38pm

Hi Ken,
Thanks very much for your response, that really helps me a lot.

Assumed that thermal noise generates AM and PM noise in a VCO system as a(t) and phi(t):
Quote:
V(t) =  (1 + a(t)) * cos(2*pi*fc*t + phi(t))
=(1 + a(t)) * [cos(2*pi*fc*t) * cos(phi(t)) - sin(2*pi*fc*t) * sin(phi(t))]
If sin(phi(t)) is very small (much smaller than 1),
then V(t) ~ (1 + a(t)) * [phi(t) * sin(2*pi*fc*t)]

To be more clear, phi(t) should be at one specified large offset frequency fm, which is phi(t) * cos (2*pi*fmt). Besides, all PM noise phi(t) transfer to voltage (power) domain and value is:
Quote:
|V(t)| = |1+a(t)| * |phi(t)|

However, if all PM noise use this way transfering to power domain noise SV, Sphi and the PM component of SV should be the same. Actually, if I assume there are three kinds of noise in nature: AM+PM noise, pure PM noise, and pure AM noise. AM+PM noise (for example: thermal noise) should contribute same PM noise in Sphi and SV. In SV, PM noise transfer to power domain using above formula. On the other hand, if we have a pure PM noise, it couldn't generate power and transfered its PM noise to power domain.

My opinion is all PM noise (not only AM+PM noise but PM noise) contribute to Sphi, and only PM components of AM+PM noise contributes to SV, pure PM noise couldn't. So Sphi and the PM component of SV are not the same. Is this correct?

Sincerely yours,
Daniel

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #36 - Jul 18th, 2005, 9:38pm

I'm afraid I do not understand your question. Nor do I understand why or how you have broken noise into three components, AM, PM, and AM+PM.

-Ken

chlai

Save the earth~

Taipei, Taiwan
Reply #37 - Jul 18th, 2005, 10:54pm

dear Ken,
Sorry to confuse you.

Noise in nature are from several reasons: (Information from noise book)
Thermal noise: Due to random thermal fluctuation
Shot noise: Due to the discrete nature of charge flow
Flicker noise: Due to random capture and release of charge
Because the noise are generated from different reasons, they also have different properties, such as AM+PM noise or pure PM noise only.

In MOSFET, the flicker noise is generated from the  capturing and releasing charge at discrete interface between SiO2 and Si. My opinion is the charge captured and released behavior should be periodic without generating new noise power. (The period of this behavior depends on the charging and releasing frequency.) So, I would regard flicker noise as a pure PM noise, and this PM noise would not transfer to power domain noise, which makes SV.

My question is Sphi are not the same with the PM components of SV, but we don't distinguish the noise properties to which PM noise part would transfer to SV. I assumed that noise should be seperated into several group as AM+PM noise, and pure PM noise. (and even more the pure AM noise) If the noise is AM+PM noise, such as thermal noise, could transfer all its PM part to SV; on the contrary, pure PM noise, such as flicker noise, could not transfer any PM noise to SV.

with best regards,
Daniel

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #38 - Jul 19th, 2005, 12:09am

Whether noise is a PM or AM noise is not a property of the noise source, it is a property of the circuit. Thermal noise produces PM noise when present in an oscillator, and additive noise (what you call AM+PM noise) when produced by a resistor in a linear circuit. And if thermal noise were present on the control line of a variable gain amplifier, it would produce AM noise at the output of the VGA.

The M in both AM and PM stands for modulation, which implies that there must be a carrier signal present that is being modulated by the noise. Without the carrier, there can be no AM or PM noise.

-Ken

chlai

Save the earth~

Taipei, Taiwan
Reply #39 - Jul 19th, 2005, 12:58am

dear Ken,

Thank you very much for the correction and fast reply.

You are right, the noise property would be specified as AM or PM when it applied on a circuit. So, I should modify my last question to the situation in a VCO (or an oscillator).

Some kinds of noise exist and have different properties in VCO. Thermal noise and flicker noise exist together with different effects to the phase noise. As Ken's last post (or in cyclo-paper.pdf), thermal noise generates PM noise and suppress AM noise in VCO. However, this PM noise should transfer to power noise at SV. (observable with a conventional Spectrum Analyzer.) Is that right?
Question in last post is: PM parts of SV is different (and less than) to Sphi, the total PM noise. Can we determine which part of PM noise would contribute to SV?

Sorry to ask so many basic questions, but these questions are really difficult to me, and I couldn't find them in all the papers. (rf-sim.pdf, cyclo-paper.pdf, PLLnoise+jitter.pdf) Your paper and post are quite useful to me to go ahead to understand the VCO noise.

Sincerely yours,
Daniel

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.