The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 3:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How does VCO affect the reference supr? (Read 6045 times)
allen

How does VCO affect the reference supr?
Jan 17th, 2005, 3:10am

Hi,

I'm designing a frequency synthesizer. When an ideal VCO, which is described in veriloga, is placed in the loop, the simulated reference spur is below -90dBc. However, when a VCO circuit with nearly the same gain is used, the reference spur is only about -52dBc.  Can anybody tell me what has happened?  How does the VCO affect the reference spur?

Thanks

Allen

???

View Profile   IP Logged
boa

Re: How does VCO affect the reference supr?
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2005, 6:34pm

In which frequencies do you have spurs? Are they multiples of VCO freq?

Also it would be good to learn more about your PLL,  its spec and how you simulate it.

View Profile   IP Logged
allen

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2005, 5:07am

Thanks boa  :)
  The frequency of the VCO is 2.4GHz, and the reference frequency is 5MHz. The spur is at 5MHz, 10MHz ... offset from the carry frequency. The VCO's gain is about 150MHz/V, and the open loop bandwidth is 100KHz. The spur is to be designed below -70dBc.
  To simulate the spur, I first run a transition simulation with spectre, then use DFT function in the calculator to  get the specturm of the VCO's output. Is it right to simulate spur in this way?

Allen

View Profile   IP Logged
boa

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2005, 8:55pm

The spurs should appear because of reference freq coupling through PFD/CP to VCO control voltage.  Another thing is that your filter should be able to suppress them.

Actually, I do not understand the reason why PLL's output has these spurs when you simulate with a real VCO (I suppose it has a proper phase noise characteristics) if it works fine with an ideal Verilog-A VCO..

View Profile   IP Logged
maserati

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2005, 4:26pm

Based on my experience, the DFT function from the calculater is not accurate. But it should NOT have  > 10dB difference...
try another way to sim the spur and compare

View Profile   IP Logged
allen

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2005, 4:50am

Thanks boa and maserati.

The reference spur decreases to -77dBc after I shorten the maximum step in the simulation option. Therefor, I think the degeneration of spur may be caused by simulation error. However, the simulation time is extremly long when the simulation step is short, and I still don't know the simulation result is the correct one( it may continue to decrease if the step gets even shorter). I wonder if there are some more effecent ways to simulation reference spur.

Allen.

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2005, 11:38pm

If there is no coupling via substrate or supply to the VCO impacting the spur performance the model approach is acurate enough. Only the VCO voltage ripple impact the spur then.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.