The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 4:42pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
i want to make a confirmation, help me ,pls. (Read 4670 times)
cowell

World
i want to make a confirmation, help me ,pls.
Feb 15th, 2005, 11:00pm

As you know, for cmos transistor, the drain current equation is as following:
Id=(1/2)*(W/L)*u*Cox*(Vgs-Vth)**2
To make the calculation coincide with the simulation result, i'd like find out the value about "u" and "Cox".
For Cox,according the content on page 14,"Design of analog CMOS integrated circuits" written by Razavi, Cox can be calculated by tox (for tox=50A, Cox=6.9fF/um**2).
i got the tox and u0 value from the Model Parameters in Spectre, and calculate the Id, which is compared withthe sim result, but didn't agree with(the error is bigger than i supposed, even though there exists long-channel modulation effects).
Is above right? If not, what's the correct way to attain my goal?

View Profile cowell   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: i want to make a confirmation, help me ,pls.
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2005, 11:32pm

Cowell,

I would guess the problem is related to the parameters from BSIM (is this the model you use?). The model parameters are not the exact values you need for your simulation. BSIM has a lot of first and second order coefficients e.g. for influence of length, gate voltage and so on. If you look at the device parameters output by Spectre during an OP simulation, you will notice they are different from the ones written in the model files. Using these values, you should already get closer to the real current.

Typically, you need to somehow "extract" the values needed for a first order calculation (that's what you do by hand). You can get these either using the parameters from a compact model or by extracting them from your simulation results.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
cowell

World
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2005, 5:08pm

So kind for u , and thx a lot.
Well, i did got the valve of each parametres after simulation(in fact just "tox" and "u0" is needed for me, and unfortunately , the value seems always same before or after the sim). So , i'm so unconfident that if i made mistake for the method.
Before did that , also, i did as what u said ,that is,
run the sim first for Id value, and extract the
(u*Cox) value from the sim results, but the value did vary greatly for different sim condition. Since that, i want to obtain the precise value directly from the Model Parametres. ...

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2005, 11:56pm by cowell »  
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2005, 6:50am

Hi, Cowell,

You should not expect to get the precise value of (u*Cox) from BSIM model directly.  Actually, it varies much beacause the real MOS transistor's behaviour is so complex. Many parameters varies due to temperature, voltage, process, width, length, etc. So it is impossible to get a constant, precise value for all transistors.

BSIM model is a empirical model. It has many parameters that havn't any physical explanation. So you need extract it using SPICE or Spectre simulation. Or you can calculate Id, Rout using the Gm, Gds, and so on listed in the report of an OP simulatioin. But Gm, Gds, etc must differ for transistor with different width, length, or temperature, etc.

Best regards,

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
cowell

World
Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2005, 5:09pm

thank u for so much detailed explaination.
Now i know what i should do
Tongue

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2005, 5:11pm by cowell »  
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.