The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 10:47am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
about frequency synthesizer (Read 1880 times)
YaYa

Shanghai, China
about frequency synthesizer
Feb 23rd, 2005, 7:27pm

Hello, everyone. I am so pleased to meet you here and I hope I can get your help.

For frequency synthesizer design, the output clock jitter will be different with the different inputs. The input with phase step, or the input frequency variant with time, which kind of input clock will introduce a larger output jitter value?
      The frequency synthesizer's input: 2MHz
                                                   Output:24MHz
      noisy input 1: 2MHz with phase step 50ns/2KHz
      noisy input 2: 1.8MHz ~ 2.2MHz (time variant)
      The PLL is composed of a 2nd-order passive filter and the 5-stages ring oscillator. The natural frequency is 40KHz(PFD input frequency is 1MHz), and the damping factor is about 0.6.
      I think the 2nd noisy input will result in the bigger output value. Because the PLL can't catch the input's time-variant phase.

Could u tell me whether what i thought is correct? Thank you so much.

And, if i want to get a pure output clock from a time-variant input clock, what should I do? Thank you so much.

-----------YaYa------------------ ???

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: about frequency synthesizer
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2005, 5:01am

Hi, YaYa,

It looks that is an uncommon application. I don't understand why you assume such two inputs.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.