The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 1:50am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SpectreRF Convergence problem (Read 5306 times)
ic_engr

SpectreRF Convergence problem
Feb 25th, 2005, 12:32pm

I am encountering convergence problem for simulating my ADC which is a 2nd order SIgma Delta Modulator.  There are two integrators and there is a quantizer involved. The quantizer output feeds back into the first integrator.

The convergence problem is seen in PSS. I am monitoring the internal nodes, namely the output of the 1st and 2nd integrators and there seems to be okay. They are not clipping towards rail.

Can someone suggest me a work around for this.

Thx

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: SpectreRF Convergence problem
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2005, 2:37pm

To use PSS the circuit must be periodic. Sigma Delta converters are not periodic, they are chaotic. To simulate this circuit with SpectreRF you must break it into components and use SpectreRF to individually characterize each component.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ic_engr

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2005, 6:10am

Ken,

Doesnt your paper on DEvice Noise Simulation of Sigma Delta Modulators and the paper "Simulating Switched-Capacitors" show examples of 2-nd order Modulators as simulated using SpectreRF. There was no mention of breaking the blocks.

Having a clock at 2MHz and being synchronous with clock I though PSS should have handeled this.

ic_engr.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2005, 9:33am

Actually it does require that you break the Delta-Sigma converter into its component pieces, analyze them separately and then combine the results.

-Ken

ic_engr

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2005, 12:41pm

Ken,

Can you seuggest me what I should do for the feedback from the quantizer to the integrator once the loop is broken.

Thx

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2005, 4:19pm

The best suggestion I have is to carefully read the paper.

-Ken

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.