The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 26th, 2024, 5:42pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why we need Viterbi Decoder in High speed link? (Read 5238 times)
raymond_luo2003

Why we need Viterbi Decoder in High speed link?
Mar 14th, 2005, 3:45am

Dear all,

I am doing high speed SerDes  stuff for 1394B PHY. Currently I am reading a lots of paper, and trying to draft my Serdes architecture for this PHY.

I got very much confused there is a few of papers mentioning about the Viterbi Decoder, which seems to help receiver of SerDes improving the jitter performance.

Anyone can help me to understand it a little more?

Thanks in advance!
Raymond

View Profile   IP Logged
DReynolds

Scarborough ME
Re: Why we need Viterbi Decoder in High speed link
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2005, 8:21am

Raymond, Veterbi decoding is nothing more than ordering the data you send in a specific way so that when you try to recover it from a noisy channel (sometimes you will get an answer that is not quite correct), you can more easily decide what the data was because you know leagal and illegal sequences in the data.

David Reynolds

View Profile   IP Logged
Danny ONeill

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2005, 10:02pm

Raymond: suggest 3rd level engineering course at University level

IP Logged
raghunath cherukuri

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2005, 6:30am

Viterbi decoder is optimal in the Maximum Likelyhood sense.
Viterbi algorithm is used for sequence estimation(not symbol estimation). Viterbi algorithm can be used for decoding as well as detection( detection comes before decoding). It works in the AWGN environments well.
I guess they are using Channel Coding(FEC) in serial links nowadays.. I know LDPC is optional in 10G Ethernet. So please check if  FEC is required in your application. Otherwise Viterbi is for just detection only.

Raghunath

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.