The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 4:38pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Assura Problem (Read 13598 times)
stephen

Assura Problem
Feb 13th, 2005, 11:35am

When I do DRC and LVS in Diva, there is an option named "Join nets with same name". Is there any similar option in Assura. I found an option named "?joinPins" but that doesn't seem to work as I want. I have two wires in layout which are not physically connected. I just mark them with the same label. I hope they are treated as electrically connected in LVS. No matter whether I use "?joinPins top" or "?joinPins allLevel", assura still reports these two labels as open.

What's wrong? Any tips will be appreciated.

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: Assura Problem
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2005, 1:14pm

Hi Stephen,

in Assura you can use joinNets("netname") to virtually connect nets with the same name. You can select whether this has to be done on the schematic and/or layout side. joinPins works only on pins (and I believe only at the top level of your hierarchy). Do you use Assura on the command line or the Assura GUI? In the second case it may be a little tricky to find.

Also note the existence of the news group comp.cad.cadence (you can find it on Google groups for example), where you can find answers to many questions on Cadence tools.

Hope this helps

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
stephen

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2005, 8:37am

Yes. I use Assura UI. I have no where to find the parameter named "joinNets". Actually I only need it to work at the top level. I'd hate to launch Assura from command line. Sad

[quote author=Paul  link=1108323345/0#1 date=1108329262]Hi Stephen,

in Assura you can use joinNets("netname") to virtually connect nets with the same name. You can select whether this has to be done on the schematic and/or layout side. joinPins works only on pins (and I believe only at the top level of your hierarchy). Do you use Assura on the command line or the Assura GUI? In the second case it may be a little tricky to find.

Also note the existence of the news group comp.cad.cadence (you can find it on Google groups for example), where you can find answers to many questions on Cadence tools.

Hope this helps

Paul [/quote]

View Profile   IP Logged
stephen

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2005, 9:47am

I have found the solution to this problem. To be able to use "joinPins", I must write the labels of two ground wires as "gnd!:G". I used to write only "gnd!" for both in Diva. I don't know what I should write if the nets I want to join are not power or ground pins.

An alternative way is to use the joinablePins in the additional functions in Assura UI. I just add "gnd!" into the joinablePins list. Although the pdf document of assura said I don't have to add anything for this option and it will be automatically connect any two pins with the same name, I still have to add "gnd!" into the command list. Otherwise, they are still treated as broken.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2005, 10:18am

To find joinNets, hit the "Modify avCompareRules" button on the LVS form, and then Select "Network" - you'll see joinNets there.

Andrew.

Helge

Sweden
Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2006, 2:44am

I'm new to Assura. I have a cell which passes Diva with "Join nets with same name". But I can't get it through Assura LVS. This is what I've tried so far:

In the Motify avCompareRules form, I selected Network, and then joinNets, wrote in the rules, and checked Use in Run.

I have several nets "a" that should be joined, and several nets "b", also to be joined. Diva "Join nets with same name" did it.

My rules are:

joinNets(root "a")
joinNets(root "b")

which result in the following in the Run Assura LVS form:
:lay: joinNets(root "a")
:lay: joinNets(root "b")

So many words, to replace one checkbox! And it's probably not even correct yet.
What is the correct syntax?
* Helge

View Profile   IP Logged
bernd

Munich/Germany
Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2006, 3:08am

What I do to join nets, must not absolute be the
only way to do this in Assura, is the following:

I have a file called 'LVSinclude.rsf' in my Assura rules directory.
This file will be read automatically by Assura if you use the GUI.
The file include commands which label the necessary pins, like this
 changeLabel( "myPowerPin" "myPowerPin:P" )
There are labels for Power P, Ground G, Input I, Output O and
Bidirectional pins B.

The you can go in the GUI to 'Modify avParameters ...'
'?joinPins' and enable 'Use in this Run' and click 'Join Pins == Top'.
This works for me.
That should be equivalent as what you're used to do in Diva.

You don't have to label the pins in the 'LVSinclude.rsf' file you can
also label then directly in the DFII pin name.

Bernd

Just another lonesome cad guy
bernd

Munich/Germany
Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2006, 3:13am

darn smiley in my previous post, it should be:
changeLabel( "myPowerPin" "myPowerPin:P")

Just another lonesome cad guy
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.