The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 21st, 2024, 10:42pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Color depth setup of Cadence (Read 3378 times)
danda821

Color depth setup of Cadence
Apr 11th, 2005, 2:32pm

Hi,

I am using Cadence icfb under unix system, using a DELL LCD monitor (1600x1200). When I set the color depth (using fbconfig command) to be 24, the speed of Cadence is very slow (esp. when doing the layout). When I set the color depth to be 8, everything is fine. But the color of the monitor is not good, esp. when using the web browser. It seems like Cadence can only work under 8 depth?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Color depth setup of Cadence
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2005, 11:13pm

What version are you using? A lot of work has gone into improving speed when 24 plane graphics are used, but earlier IC50 versions were definitely slow with 24 plane graphics.

What type of workstation are you using? What graphics card? Certainly some linux drivers are a bit problematic too, which could be the issue.

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
danda821

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2005, 12:43pm

I am running 2.0.33_USR2.34.8, using Sun Blade 2000 with XVR-100 graphic card. Thanks.

[quote author=Andrew Beckett  link=1113255176/0#1 date=1113286393]What version are you using? A lot of work has gone into improving speed when 24 plane graphics are used, but earlier IC50 versions were definitely slow with 24 plane graphics.

What type of workstation are you using? What graphics card? Certainly some linux drivers are a bit problematic too, which could be the issue.

Andrew.
[/quote]

View Profile   IP Logged
danda821

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2005, 8:06pm

I found some machine (where the Cadence tool works fine) has two different visuals: 8-bit and 24-bit (check by run xdpyinfo). But mine has only 24-bit. I don't know if there is anyway to add more visuals to my machine. Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.