The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 5:56am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Simulation of comparator offset voltage (Read 5352 times)
shariman

Simulation of comparator offset voltage
May 11th, 2005, 6:16pm

HI teachers,

I am currently designing a high speed comparator based on Yin, Eynde and sansen's design (solid state journal). The comparator consists of differential input stage, d-flip flop stage and SR-latch output stage. Now I need to simulate for the comparator's offset voltage using HSpice. How do I go about doing this? what syntax do I need to use to perform the offset voltage simulation? Is there any good reference on this topic?

cheers

IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Simulation of comparator offset voltage
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2005, 10:01pm

Hi, Shariman,

Basically I think the offset voltage simulation is based on your estimation of the mismatch of the relative transistors. Ideally it is of zero offset voltage for a differential comparator. The SPICE model doesn't contain the transitor mismatch parameters. So you can't simulate the offset voltage unless you modify some parameters or modify the dimensions of the relative transistors. Of course a wrong estimation of the mismatch will result in a wrong offset voltage.  :)

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
svenn

Does it have to be
legal?

Germany
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2005, 11:58pm

[quote author=shariman  link=1115860584/0#0 date=1115860580]
How do I go about doing this?
[/quote]

Insert a DC-source on one of the input pins and perform a DC-sweep, say +/- 20mV and inspect the output waveform.

If you have access to the bulk pin of the input transistor, you can change the VT by inserting a DC-source between ground and bulk of one of the input transistors and perform another DC-sweep.

You can also use monte-carlo simulation if your transistor models support statistical variations of parameters.

Many features are depending on what simulator you use. Maybe it would be possible to say more if you tell which simulator you use.

Svenn
View Profile   IP Logged
Leyman

Malaysia
Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2005, 9:41pm

Hi svenn,

Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately I still couldn't get the right way to perform the simulation. I am using HSpice Avanti by sysnopsis. What are the sysntax that I need to use ? Could you describe the steps in details?

Thanks in advance

View Profile bincut   IP Logged
Yuguo

Analog

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2005, 2:56am

Glad to see you here ! Ya wei !  :D
[quote author=ywguo  link=1115860584/0#1 date=1116219697]Hi, Shariman,

Basically I think the offset voltage simulation is based on your estimation of the mismatch of the relative transistors. Ideally it is of zero offset voltage for a differential comparator. The SPICE model doesn't contain the transitor mismatch parameters. So you can't simulate the offset voltage unless you modify some parameters or modify the dimensions of the relative transistors. Of course a wrong estimation of the mismatch will result in a wrong offset voltage.  :)

Best regards,
Yawei [/quote]

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.