The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 5:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cyclostationary Noise and PM noise (Read 3381 times)
jfosorio
Ex Member

Cyclostationary Noise and PM noise
May 13th, 2005, 1:54am

Hello,
In the last spectreRF version available here there is a capability call modulated noise that permit split AM noise of PM noise. I dont know if once the PM noise is available directly from SpectreRF, it is still necessary to estimate the noise passing through a threshold by using the time-domain capability. can I suppose these to noise are equal ?. I mean is the phase noise calculeted by the PM capability equal to the cyclostationary Noise.
Thanks for your help.
Juan

IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Cyclostationary Noise and PM noise
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2005, 7:00pm

Generally when worried about jitter or noise at a threshold, you need to use the strobed noise. The AM and PM decomposition performed by SpectreRF still is done on the noise over an entire period, and so noise far from the threshold is included in the PM noise, but it would not contribute to jitter.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #2 - May 17th, 2005, 10:10am

And in spectre in IC5141 and MMSIM60, there is a jitter mode for pnoise, which for driven circuits does a strobed noise at a specified threshold - doing what you want here. For autonomous circuits, it essentially is the same as the modulated noise type for pnoise, and computes jitter from the PM noise.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jfosorio
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2005, 2:24pm

Thanks for your answer,
it really has helped me.
Juan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.