The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 11:47pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CDR with half rate PD (Read 900 times)
yli

CDR with half rate PD
May 18th, 2005, 2:10am

hi all:
Pardon my ignorance. I have a question about CDR, please give me some advice.
I have designed a 2.5G CDR with half rate PD. I follow the Razavi paper,
A 10-Gb/s CMOS Clock and Data Recovery Circuit with a Half-Rate Linear Phase Detector, May 2001.

This CDR contains linear half rate PD, interpolation type ring VCO, charge pump and loop filter. I use the same architecture in the paper. All circuits simulate by Hspice.
I think that each block works well(maybe not).

However, when I connect each block together, the retiming data lose some bits. It will random lose a bit within random period.
In order to solve the question, first I get rid of the charge pump and loop filter. I directly input the correct VCO tuning voltage to make VCO oscillate at 1.25G. But the result is still incorrect. Then I replace the VCO to the ideal source(1.25G square wave) and I found that the retiming data is correct.

According to the situation, could I consider the VCO as a problem?
I think that the VCO may have bad phase noise. (I don't have software to do the simulation. or maybe it can be simulate at Hspice) Is that correct? or it results from other factors.

The VCO is a five stage interpolation ring oscillator.

In order to reduce the jitter, I try to make the waveform of VCO to be symmetric; therefore, I add the buffer amplifier(cherry hooper amplifier) in each stage.

Could someone give me some suggestion to solve this problem?
Thank you in advance.

yli

IP Logged
yli

Re: CDR with half rate PD
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2005, 5:00pm

hi all:
I try to refine my question.

The problem of my CDR circuit is that the Bit error rate is too large, which is 1e-3.
For the 2.5G CDR with half rate PD, it should be smaller than 1e-6 or even smaller.
I think that the problem would be result from the VCO.

I use the same VCO architecture in the Razavi paper, 10G CDR with half rate PD, May 2001.
I use the interpolation method to build up the each stage of VCO. The VCO contains five stage.
The interpolation method is an approach to let the signal to go through the fast path or slow path by controling the current. There is an extra delay cell in the slow path. I use the simple differential inverter to be the delay cell. The VCO can oscillate from 1.20GHz to 1.30GHz. The gain of VCO is around 100MHz/V.
Hspice is the simulation softwave I use.
I don't have the avaliable software to simulate the jitter and phase noise of VCO. Or does hspice can simulate the jitter or phase noise?

Could anyone give me some suggestion to correct the problem?

IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: CDR with half rate PD
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2005, 4:19am

Yli,

I don't think phase noise is the problem in your simulations. When you run transient simulation, there is no phase noise present. For phase noise to be considered by the simulator, you need to run a noise simulation (check your simulator manual).

You mention it works with an ideal clock source. This can be related to the low output impedance of the source compared to your VCO. It can also be related to the phase, which is certainly different than the one of your VCO with a constant input voltage. Remember, frequency lock is not sufficient to guarantee low BER. Instead of putting an ideal clock source into your schematic, you should try with an ideal VCO (macromodel). On the other hand, check if your PD input capacitance is not loading the VCO too heavily? Check the amplitude of your VCO signal at the PD input once the loop is closed.

BTW, typical values for BER are in the order of 1e-12, not 1e-6.

Good luck

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.