The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 1:46am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
error correction circuit for 1.5bit/stage pipeline (Read 6191 times)
ericjohnson

error correction circuit for 1.5bit/stage pipeline
May 26th, 2005, 10:10pm

Can someone please provide some good reference on how to design error correction circuit for 1.5b/stage pipelined ADC? If detailed circuit topology/schematic can be provided, that'll be greatly appreciated!

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: error correction circuit for 1.5bit/stage pipe
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2005, 10:56pm

Ericjohnson,

The earliest paper presented the 1.5bit/stage algorithm (RSD) is by B. Ginetti, P. Jespers, "A 1.5 Ms/s 8-bit Pipelined RSD A/D Converter," in European Solid-State Circuits Conference Digest of Technical Papers, pp. 137-140, Sep. 1990. But I havn't that paper since only ESSCIRC papers after 1996 are availabe on its website. But I have another paper by G. Ginetti, et al., A CMOS 13-b cyclic RSD A/D converter, JSSC, July, 1992. I hope it will be helpful for you.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
ericjohnson

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2005, 8:12am

Thank you , Yawei. I will read the paper.

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2005, 12:52pm

Eric

you can also try to find Jesper's book. I find it well written, but sometimes too concise on the details:
http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-856446-5

Anyway this scheme has been used by many people, so you should be able to find many papers on it. It seems to me it's just about addition of output codes, but make sure to use the right format and offset. There's also the following Maxim appnote:
http://maximic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/1023
although, I dislike some statements like "The implication is that none of the flash ADCs in Figure 1 has to be as accurate as the entire ADC." This may be true for the gain error, but the non-linearity of any stage directly affects the overall non-linearity directly. So be careful...

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ericjohnson

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2005, 11:24am

Thank you, Paul. If I understand correctly, the digital error correction part is just a simple adder, right?

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2005, 9:51pm

Ericjohnson,

You are right.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.