The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 12:27pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
convergence help (Read 9836 times)
RobertZ
Community Member

the art of analog

San Diego, CA
convergence help
Jun 07th, 2005, 12:22pm

Hi, all,

When I set up DC simulation and sweep temperature in spectre, sometimes output voltage is a smooth line, but sometmes it has a big step, which is undesireable. (I did not change anything in the schematic and simulation setting, just repeated simulation) In the last case, I noticed that gmin and source methods failed and at last dptran was used.

How can resolve this problem?
Many Thanks.

Thanks,
Robert
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: convergence help
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2005, 2:39pm

It is probably a feature of your circuit rather than a problem with the simulator. If you sweep temperature in the opposite direction, you will probably see classic hysteresis behavior.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobertZ
Community Member

the art of analog

San Diego, CA
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2005, 8:56pm

Hi, Ken,

I did not quite catch what you said. In my mind, I thought temperature sweep is memeryless, meaning the simulator solves the circuit at each temperature point independantly and plot the results.

Btw, I am designing a bandgap circuit. When I sweep temperature in the opposite direction, the result is always smooth; when I sweep temperature from -40 to 125, there always a big jump.

Thanks,
Robert
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2005, 11:24pm

When a circuit exhibits a jump like you are describing it is because it has solution curve that has folds in it, as shown with the solid line below.

Here the horizontal axis represents temperature and the vertical axis represents a signal value, say the output voltage.

Starting from the left, the temperature increases until it reaches the lower fold, at which point the output voltage jumps discontinuously. In this case it jumps up to the upper part of the curve (dashed upward facing arrow). If the temperature then began to decrease, the output voltage would stay on the upper part of the curve until it reached the upper fold, at which point it would jump down to the lower part of the curve (dashed downward facing arrow). In this way, the voltage/temperature curve would exhibit classic hysteresis.

If you started at a point between the two folds, then going up you would see a jump, but going down you would not because the upper fold occurs at a temperature less than -40C.

You are almost correct in your belief that DC sweeps are memoryless. To speed up DC sweeps, Spectre extrapolates from the previous solution point to the next. It then starts the DC iteration from the extrapolated point. This tends to cause Spectre to faithfully follow the curve as long as it can. It is this extrapolation that represents the memory in the DC sweep.

-Ken

RobertZ
Community Member

the art of analog

San Diego, CA
Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2005, 12:39am

Hi, Ken,

BIG thanks for your kind reply and explanation!!! Grin

By talking about the folds in the solution curve, does this mean the circuit has mutiple solutions at certain temperature range?

I will try to enlarge the sweep range to find out the hysteresis tomorrow (I have no simulator at home, Smiley )

-driveforece

Thanks,
Robert
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2005, 7:05am

Yes, from what you have told me, I believe your circuit has two stable and one unstable operating points at temperatures below where the jump occurs.

-Ken

« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2005, 12:34pm by Ken Kundert »  
RobertZ
Community Member

the art of analog

San Diego, CA
Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2005, 9:19am

mmm..... got it.

Thank you very much,

-driveforce

Thanks,
Robert
View Profile   IP Logged
RobertZ
Community Member

the art of analog

San Diego, CA
Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2005, 9:52am

Hi, Ken,

I did not find the jump when I sweep temperature from 125 to -100.

But if I change gmin from 1e-12 to 1e-15, there is no jump from either direction. Does this mean the circuit has no mutiple solution problem?

-driveforce

Thanks,
Robert
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2005, 10:27pm

I don't know. I don't understand how changing gmin would affect the situation.

-Ken

sheldon
Community Fellow

Reply #9 - Jun 15th, 2005, 1:20am

driveforce,

Are all of the devices in circuit properly biased? In the past, we
have seen issues when the gmin loaded nodes because the transistors
were all biased off. In our case, by increasing the tolerance of gmin,
the effect of device leakage currents became larger then the effect of
gmin and the circuit setup properly. After we corrected the underlying
circuit issue, the default gmin was sufficient.

Best Regards,

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
RobertZ
Community Member

the art of analog

San Diego, CA
Reply #10 - Jun 15th, 2005, 9:42am

Hi, Ken and Sheldon,

Thanks for your replys.

Unfortunately, changing gmin from 1e-12 to 1e-15 couldn't (and seems impossible to) solve the multiple solutions (one is 1.2V and the other is 0.5V at low temperatures) problem. Right now, I think my start up circuit is kind of weak.

Best
driveforce

Thanks,
Robert
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2005, 2:16am

Hi, driveforce,

A bandgap reference has more than one steady state. So a start-up circuitry is required to make the bandgap reference work in the desired point. Many textbooks describe this feature of a bandgap circuit.

I think your start-up circuitry doesn't work at very low temperature. It is easy to correct it.

Best regards,

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.