The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 3:51pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zero diagonal found in Jacobian at certain net (Read 1119 times)
reilly

Zero diagonal found in Jacobian at certain net
Jul 19th, 2005, 7:32am

Hi everyone,
Currently I am attempting to run a dc sweep simulation by sweeping the power supply from one voltage to another voltage using Cadence IC5. I used the default setting in ADE (Analog Design Envinronment) and start to simulate using spectre.

Eventually, the spectre simulator found zero diagonal at certain nets and trying to reorder Jacobian. Anyone know what is this reordering Jacobian means and how to solve this problem since spectre simulator took more than half hour to simulate. Any setting to change in order to speed up or avoid zero diagonal? Is it due to the design, simulator, models? In certain cases, the simulator do not manage to get a solution. Hope to get explaination and ways to overcome this problem. By the way, how to ensure simulator manage to get the convergence using homotopy gmin/source which always give faster result compare to other convergence method. Thanks. Smiley

DC Analysis `dcOp'
Important parameter values:
   reltol = 1e-03
   abstol(I) = 1 pA
   abstol(V) = 1 uV
   temp = 35 C
   tnom = 27 C
   tempeffects = all
   gmin = 1 pS
   maxrsd = 0 Ohm
   mos_method = s
   mos_vres = 50 mV
Trying `homotopy = gmin'.
Continuation method failed.  Step size too small.
Trying `homotopy = source'.
Trying `homotopy = dptran'.
Zero diagonal found in Jacobian at `net172' and `net172'.
Reordering Jacobian.

View Profile   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Re: Zero diagonal found in Jacobian at certain net
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2005, 8:35am

What circuit are you using?
I have had the same problem in SC circuits with feedback. Often there was a floating node or loop of shorts there. This was caused by the wrong clocking scheme or non-delay feedback paths.

Sven

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2005, 12:14am

In particular, did you look at or near net172 to find out what the problem was? As Sven says, in particular look for nodes that are floating or a loop of shorts.

The problem looks as if it occurred on the first sweep point, which is another clue.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
reilly

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 9:22pm

Hi,
Thanks for all your reply. I managed to solve the zero diagonal once I removed an inductor near the net. Since I do not know which node to declare for the initial condition, I run a first simulation using a simple stimuli with the circuit. Once an initial spectre.ic being generated, I changed the stimuli again to the stimuli I required the circuit to run with but defined with readic=spectre.ic in order to established the initial condition. This helped to solve most of the convergence issue I attempted most of the time. By the way, most of the circuit consists of current mirror with some feedback circuitry. Thanks again.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.