The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 11:46pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
diode modeling (Read 830 times)
Zorro
Community Member

diode modeling
Aug 09th, 2005, 4:17am

hello everybody,

I am writing a model that contains an internal diode. this diode is only used when a certain condition arises, and is therefore embedded within an if statement. The equation I am using is:

I(Diode) <+ is*(exp(V(Diode)/$vt)-1)

However I tend to get convergence problems, and when I try to use the limexp function, it compiles ok but the elaborator does not like it. It says that is only possible to use it outside of the if statement.

I do not want to perform the limexp function outside of the if statement and return the result inside the "if" when called, because then the simulator is having to make an unwanted calculation constantly, and hence slowing the process down and using more memory space.

So my question is, is there a way of using the limexp function only when called (i.e. the if statement becomes true)?

Regards,
Douglas Paniagua  :P

View Profile   IP Logged
Zorro
Community Member

Re: diode modeling
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2005, 4:34am

hello just one more thing,

Is there a way of usíng any of the analog operators such as "ddt" iinside conditional statements?

Cheers,
Douglas

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2005, 4:46pm

Try limexp() rather than exp().

You cannot have the ddt operator inside a conditional unless the argument to the conditional cannot change during an analysis.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2005, 10:25am

Ken -
You missed his comment that he wanted limexp() inside a conditional.

Zorro -
If the test condition depends only on parameters, then you would be OK -- for example, I have a diode model that checks if BV for the diode is specified, and uses limexp conditionally.

-Geoffrey

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.