The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 11:13am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
layout for R-ladder (Read 3635 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

layout for R-ladder
Sep 08th, 2005, 1:13am

Hi,

I am designing an R-ladder DAC, and would like to get some feedback about the best way to minimize the INL. Because it is a series connection of resistors from
end to end, I see no solution for reducing the effect of linear gradients etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to design or lay it out for good linearity?

Thanks
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
kwkam

Earth
Re: layout for R-ladder
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2005, 6:51am

I just you can use wider POLY resistor and place dump resistor around to improve resistor match. And also you can try to keep the current flow through the resistor chain constant. It can improve INL.

View Profile   IP Logged
keble

Re: layout for R-ladder
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2005, 4:31am

Vivek, there's a useful book "Analogue-Digital ASICs" Ed R S Soin et al, published by Peregrinus (UK) 1991 ISBN 0 86341 259 9
This has a chapter on layout (chapter name is "Practical aspects of mixed analogue-digital design"). This discusses process variations, noise etc.

I've used the recommendations for many years with success, particularly for common centroid schemes, MOS switches and switched capacitors.

It has a really good example of DAC resistor ladder layout.
If you'd like a pdf just send me a message.

- Rob

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.