The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 2:56pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
phase noise - jitter relationship (Read 2985 times)
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Re: phase noise - jitter relationship
Reply #15 - Sep 21st, 2005, 5:22am

I finally got around to have a look at Ken's matlab code for predicting noise in Plls. In cadence I simulated the phase noise for the given Hartley oscillator (fout=1.14GHz) and extracted the corner frequency and n value as descirbed in Kens paper. I then calculated the jitter and used this value to simulate a noisy vco in open loop using VerilogA. I recorded each output period and used the matlab code to plot the psd of the noise. I was hoping to obtain approx. the same plot as for the noise of the Hartley oscillator (20dB region). While the matlab plot has the expected 20db per decade slope, the frequency of the plot starts at 10e6 and goes to 10e9 for nfft=1024. This does not make sense. The plot should be located at lower frequencies, should it not? When I use the matlab PSD plot to exctract the n value from the 20dB region, it should be approx. the same as for the Hartley oscillator.

Am I missing something here?  
Regards,
Sven

« Last Edit: Oct 09th, 2005, 11:36pm by trond »  
View Profile   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Re: phase noise - jitter relationship
Reply #16 - Oct 9th, 2005, 11:41pm

What I was trying to solve is why the n-value is not approx. the same when using
a) the Hartley osc. in cadence to find n and and then comparing it to
b) using the obtained jitter value and use it in VerilogA and Kens Matlab code to obtain the n-value.

Thanks for any hints.
Svensl

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.