The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 1:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
spice deck (Read 1484 times)
neiyan

=)

spice deck
Sep 17th, 2005, 7:10am

i would like to ask if there is a way to generate a spice deck that can be the input to third-party spice simulator software (e.g. winspice) to simulate a circuit created in composer schematic and with spectre model libraries?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: spice deck
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2005, 6:22am

There are probably a few different ways to do this:

1) check the netlisting options available -- sometimes, even if the default is Spectre, you can ask for HSpice or CDSSpice or something that looks a lot more like standard spice, at least for simple circuits

2) write a translation script that converts Spectre to spice format:
m1 (d g s b) modName w=1u l=1u
just needs the parentheses removed, I think.

You'll need to do basic translation on the model libraries, too;
model nch bsim3v3
would become
.model nch nmos level=??
and you'd have to check your winspice documentation to see what level to use, and whether all the primitive models you need are available (eg, BSIM4 is not built into Berkeley Spice 3f5).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
neiyan

=)

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2005, 6:31am

for option 1, could i output to spice format while using spectre model libraries or i have to obtain spice model libraries?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2005, 9:01pm

neiyan,

The netlisting doesn't touch the model files - it just includes them (well, with cdsSpice it does some macro replacement and slight format modification, but I doubt you'd be using cdsSpice). Most likely if you're going to want SPICE syntax, you'd use the hspiceD interface.

So you'll need to either translate the model files into a syntax that winspice (or whatever) can handle, or get the supplier to provide them in that format.

Essentially this is what Geoffrey said in his append.

Regards,

Andrew

neiyan

=)

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2005, 12:14am

thanks geoff & andrew..

i'll try it again and post my progress..

good day!  ;D

View Profile   IP Logged
neiyan

=)

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2005, 8:14am

by the way, about the hSpiceD, how do i know if its installed? because in Simulator/Directory/Host, it is not listed as one of the simulators..if so, do i need to install it or could i use one of the installed simulators (cdsSpice, spectre, spectreS, <other verilog simulators>)?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2005, 6:07am

I thought you were going to run the sim in winspice?  I think the netlisting code is available, even if the simulator isn't installed.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2005, 3:28am

For hspiceD, you need to be using at least IC5033 or later. Also, it probably needs the 32760 FEATURE in your license file to work...

Andrew.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.