The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 4:15pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
jitter estimates for Oscillator using tdnoise (Read 7685 times)
ic_engr

jitter estimates for Oscillator using tdnoise
Oct 01st, 2005, 7:34am

Hello All,

I ran pss and tdnoise in spectreRF to estimate jitter for my oscillator. My ring oscillator is a differential relaxation oscillator with frequency of 4MHz. The last stage has differential to single ended converter.

I have following clairifications to be done:

1) Should I perform noise simulation on one of the differential output of the inner-stages of the ring oscillator or should I use the output of the differential to single ended converter output ?.

to get jitter I am integarting noise from 22KHz to 4MHz in tdnosie form. I get 390mV which I divide by Slew Rate of 330MV/s I get a jitter of 1.02nsec. This is in agreement to what I got on silicon in a 30us Time interval Error a measured jitter of 1.4nsec.

If I integrate from 25KHz to 4MHz, I get the noise as 53.6uV which then divided by Slew Rate gives a jitter of only 0.13psec. This is much smaller.

On what basis do I chose the BW for integrationin tdnoise form. ?

Why is the noise so different between the two BWs, 2khz-4Mhz or 25KHZ to 4MHz. ?

The jitter estimated in the BW is what, periodic jtter, longterm jitter or what ?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
Forum Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: jitter estimates for Oscillator using tdnoise
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2005, 10:02pm

From your questions, it seems as if you are trying to apply the wrong formulas to determine the jitter of an oscillator. You should not use tdnoise and you do not need to integrate over frequency. See section 10.1 of http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/PLLnoise+jitter.pdf.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ic_engr

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 1:05pm

Ken

Then when is tdnoise useful ? I was under impression that tdnoise is an easy way of estimating jitter.

My Spectre Models also include 1/f noise models. So would the method of section 10.1 be valid.

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
ic_engr

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 2:05pm

Ken,

I repeated the pss-pnose simulation without tdonise. I selcted the source SSB in pnoise form. After completed simulation I plotted A**2/Hz. The plot I got was dB vs Hz not dBc/hz.

Why is this descrepancy ?.

My fc was at 22kHz. at 100kHz I got L(f) as 15.5e-15. My fo was 2MHz The period jitter was only 4.4psec. I am more confused now Please explain.

iC_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 3:43pm

tdnoise can be used to computer jitter for driven circuits.

If you are getting the noise in dB rather than dBc, then you are not pushing the right buttons. I think you need to plot the "Phase Noise" to get your results in dBc.

Flicker noise invalidates all jitter metrics except for cycle-to-cycle jitter.

What is confusing you?

-Ken

ic_engr

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2005, 1:15pm

Ken,

You were right I did plot the "Phase Noise" and I did get the dBc/Hz. What I got was a sloping plot with fc at 20kHz. After fc the phase noise is basically flat at -130dBc/Hz i.e L=1e-13. My fo=4MHz

Using eqn 74 and 78 with different delta f I get different jitter numbers.
If I use Delta f of 30kHz I get jitter=1.18pS.
If I use Delta f of 500kHz I get jitter =19pS
If I use Delta f of 2MHz I get jitter=79pSec.

Can you please explain me what these different Jitter numbers mean when I use different Delta f.

With 1/f models included in simulation what do these jitter numbers mean.

To het Time Interval Error in 30uS which of the above numbers should I multiply with SQRT(30us * fo) ?

I will really appreciate your input.

ic_engr.

View Profile   IP Logged
ic_engr

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2005, 4:42pm

Ken,

You were right I did plot the "Phase Noise" and I did get the dBc/Hz. What I got was a sloping plot with fc at 20kHz. After fc the phase noise is basically flat at -130dBc/Hz i.e L=1e-13. My fo=4MHz

Using eqn 74 and 78 with different delta f I get different jitter numbers.  
If I use Delta f of 30kHz I get jitter=1.18pS.
If I use Delta f of 500kHz I get jitter =19pS
If I use Delta f of 2MHz I get jitter=79pSec.

Can you please explain me what these different Jitter numbers mean when I use different Delta f.

With 1/f models included in simulation what do these jitter numbers mean.  

To het Time Interval Error in 30uS which of the above numbers should I multiply with SQRT(30us * fo) ?

I will really appreciate your input.

ic_engr.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2005, 8:30am

The formula given in the paper is only appropriate for oscillator phase noise, which has a -20dB/dec slope.

Please read the paper carefully. It is all explained there.

-Ken

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.