The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 17th, 2024, 8:29pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
electrical to real (Read 2425 times)
Mark Burford

electrical to real
Oct 10th, 2005, 4:32am

Hi,
Is it possible to take an electrical signal and connect it somehow to a block that takes in a real , operates on it and outputs a real.  I would then like to convert the output real back to electrical domain.

Can anyone help, have a suggestion
Many thanks
Mark

IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: electrical to real
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2005, 12:45am

Hi Mark,

sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure to fully get what you would like to do, as quantities are of type real (voltage, current are subtypes). I understand you would like to convert it into an event-driven signal?

To reconstruct an electrical signal from a real value is quite simple.
Real xy_real to electrical xy_elec conversion:
xy_elec == xy_real'ramp(risetime, falltime)
where rise and fall times are expressed as real numbers (not TIME) and define the behavior of the signal between two values.

It is however more difficult to introduce events in a continuous-time quantity. You can either sample it at a fixed sampling rate (which may slow down your simulation considerably) or use a multi-level quantizer to get the amplitude resolution you want (in case of high-frequency signals this will also slow down the simulation).

Alternatively, if you don't care about the event-driven behavior, you could do your math in a straight-forward way using quantities.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.