The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 7:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LC VCO doesn't oscillate in transient analysis (Read 5986 times)
boshiouke

trying to learn

LC VCO doesn't oscillate in transient analysis
Oct 12th, 2005, 3:56pm

Can anyone comment on how to get the LC VCO to oscillate in transient analysis please? Initial conditions are set, and PSS/Pnoise works fine. But in transient analysis VCO simply doesn't oscillate. Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: LC VCO doesn't oscillate in transient analysis
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2005, 6:32pm

Hi, boshiouke,

Have you checked the netlist again? Most errors are caused by circuit design, typo error in the netlist, etc.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
vborich

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2005, 8:59pm

A small current pulse in parallel with the resonator should help. Setting integration method to trapezoidal and max time step to something on the scale of the expected oscillation period may help too.

View Profile   IP Logged
zwtang

Shanghai, P.R.China
Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2005, 4:20pm

How did you set initial conditions? In my experiment, one oscillating point is set VDD, the other side VSS, LC VCO will start up in transient analysis. You can try it.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
hrkhari

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2006, 2:31am

Hi Guys:

I just don't know how true is this, but I find the transient response is better if a damped vsin source is applied at the Vdd, and for PSS analysis a pulse source at the Vdd and a parallel pulse current source is used across the LC tank, I would appreciate if anyone could comment further on this.

Rgds

View Profile   IP Logged
kokabanga

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2006, 7:51pm

Hi,

The problem could be the following!

Let us say your freuency of oscillation Fosc = 5GHz.

This implies the time period Tosc = 0.2 n secs.

Now, if you check the converegence options in the transient anaylsis form the time step for simulation will be 1 n sec.

This means SpectreRF will solve the circuit every 1 n sec, hence it misses your 0.2 n sec sine wave completely!

1) Set the convergence option in the transient analysis form to "conservative".

2) Set the "MAXIMUM TIME STEP" to "1/100" th of Tosc so that you get good convergence or interpolation...i.e set it to 2p sec!

Since you are setting the maximum time step to 2 p sec, if you try to "greedily" analyse the waveform for say 200 cycles of the sine wave or 200 x Tosc = 40 n secs then it will mean you need to wait for 40 n secs/ 2 p sec calculations to complete..or 20000 steps this might take a longgg time!

So try simulating for 10 or 20 cycles i.e. 4 n secs first!

forget the extra impulse to be added and all that!

such current impulse "concepts" are introduced by useless academicians!

naren
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.