The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 9:59pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to verify wire density (Read 6862 times)
lily

seattle
how to verify wire density
Oct 17th, 2005, 5:56pm

Hi All,

I am trying to do some analysis of the wire density after routing. I found one "verify density" function in silicon ensemble. And I tried several times but always got "CADENCE-PROBLEM-31 DISASTER..." Angry. And I couldn't find anything about it in SE manual. How should I use it correctly or is there any good tool to do this analysis?

Thanks a lot!

lily

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: how to verify wire density
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2005, 12:40am

Hi Lily,

if you talk about metal density checks, I would suggest using a DRC tool (Dracula, Diva, Assura, Calibre). It may take some more of your time because you have to switch tools (I don't think you can run Assura directly from SE). I think there also is an antenna verification in SE which sometimes gives strange results. I wonder if the implementation of these tools has been improved in SoC-Encounter.

In most cases, the foundry mask shop people take care of adding dummy metal to comply with the density rules. Maybe you don't need to care too much about this (especially in the case of a standard-cell design in SE).

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
lily

seattle
Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2005, 2:21pm

Thanks for your suggestions. Actually I wanna get the wire density and then do some analysis based on it. With the DRC tool, can I get the report file of wire density?

//lily

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2005, 2:29pm

Hi Lily,

The DRC tool usually does what it is asked for by the rule file. I believe most foundries specify the density per sqmm or something comparable, and that's what is defined in the rules. If you want to obtain a value for the whole chip, you probably have to write an additional rule defining the calculation on the whole chip area at once. To me this seems feasible (althoug I never tried).

If needed, please mention the tool you intend to use and I may be able to direct you to the corresponding command.

Paul

lily

seattle
Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2005, 11:45am

The PDK provided a Diva DRC rule file. I think you are right. I have to add some additional rule defining the calculation. Do you have any idea how to add this rule in the diva drc file? Thanks.

//lily

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2005, 1:18pm

Hi Lily,

I've never used Diva, so I will have some trouble guiding you. In case I can get hands on a documentation I'll try to have a look, otherwise I'm sure somebody else will be able to help you out.

Paul

Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2005, 2:03pm

Look at the Diva reference manual. You'll find it in your IC software installation:

<instdir>/doc/divaref/divaref.pdf

There is a section in there called drc(coverage) and this is followed by a description of geomGetCoverage(). These two sections explain how to write a coverage rule. There are examples too - it is straightforward enough.

Regards,

Andrew.

lily

seattle
Reply #7 - Oct 25th, 2005, 2:34pm

Thank both you two very much!  

//lily

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.