The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 10:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trouble with PSS and a frequency divider (Read 3532 times)
danmc
Community Member

Boston
Trouble with PSS and a frequency divider
Oct 27th, 2005, 9:21am

I'm trying to simulate a frequency divider (built with static CMOS logic) using PSS.

If I run a transient sim, everything looks good.  All the waveforms are what they should be.  When I run PSS however, I'm unable to get it to converge.  I selected my clock source as the Fundamental Tone and set it as a Large signal. For the beat frequency I picked the divider output frequency (1/24th of the clock source).  For tstab, I picked a time which is long enough for the divider to fully go through a couple of output cycles so I've hopefully flushed out any wierd initial states.

In all 20 pss iterations, I see the same large value for the convergence norm:
Conv norm = 72e+03

Also, once I get past this problem I'll want to look at the noise at the output rising edges.  Is there a way to automate the selection of the time for the timedomain noise?  It would see like if I could figure out how to make a spectreRF compatible S-R flip-flop, it would be simpler to set the (noiseless) flip-flop with the divider output and reset it with something derived from my clock source.  Then I wouldn't need the timedomain option but could go from the phase noise output directly.  Comments on this?

Thanks
-Dan

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Trouble with PSS and a frequency divider
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2005, 2:32pm

There should be one fundamental, which is the output frequency of the divider (1/24th of the clock source frequency).

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
danmc
Community Member

Boston
Re: Trouble with PSS and a frequency divider
Reply #2 - May 6th, 2006, 9:13pm

seems there was one extra flip-flop internally dividing by 2 one more time so while the output frequency was 1/24 of the input, the fundamental frequency of the circuit as a  whole was 1/48.  duh!  Its no wonder the convergence norm wasnt' getting smaller  :-X

so,  any good way to automate finding the rising edge time to feed into the timedomain pnoise sim?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.