The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 11:05am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
monitoring frequency to adjust for drift (Read 2503 times)
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
monitoring frequency to adjust for drift
Nov 19th, 2005, 1:03am

Hello All,

I was wondering how I would be able to determine the centre-frequency of a VCO by looking at its pulse-train output.
Naturally, the frequency of a VCO will drift with temperature and; therefore, might not be centered at the desired free-running frequency anymore. Essentially, I would like to extract the free-running frequency (or “middle”) by monitoring the output of the VCO to use the obtained signal as a clock for some other circuit. The more constant the period of the obtained signal the better.

I considered using a PLL with the VCO output as a reference signal and choosing the capacitance and resistor of the low-pass so that the time constant gets very large and the PLL outputs the free-running frequency of the VCO. This however, requires large values for the capacitance. Are there any other possibilities?

Thanks for any feedback.

Regards,
Sven

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Re: monitoring frequency to adjust for drift
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2006, 10:20pm

I think you'd need to know something about the input voltage that was generating the frequency..
I.e keep track of the frequency, but onl y record it when the loop filter voltage was at the level you think of a "free running" .. ?

But there aren't a lot of device models who model thermal transients, and if you don't use ones that do, you will not get any variation due to temperature increase..
jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.