The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 20th, 2024, 3:31pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LNA Matching (Read 2182 times)
joy

LNA Matching
Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:32pm

Hi,

I am facing a little problem in designing an input matching network for a 2.4G LNA. The problem is I am working in 65nm process and my bias current is limited to .75mA. So my cgs is very small, abt 50fF. Hence I have tried doing an inductive degeneration Ls to give gmLs/ Cgs = 50 ohms...however to tune out the large imaginary part, I need a very large inductor at gate...abt 50n..and that has a very poor Q of abt 2...So I fail to match.
I have tried another alternative, to put a parallel cap across Cgs to increase its value to arnd 300fF..that way I get matching, but because by adding extra cap, I am reducing fT, I am hurting my gain a lot and so its not that good.
If someone cud suggest a better/new way of dealing with thid, it will be very helpful.
Thanks and Regards,
Joy

IP Logged
milkdragon

RF idiot

Re: LNA Matching
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2005, 11:49am

Hi,

Sounds like to me that you are using a very small device.  You can increase the device size, which can get you more Cgg and more Gm at the same time.  I understand that there should be an optimum size for each process node.  Try it and see if things work out.

Hope this help

View Profile milkdragon   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.