The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 11th, 2024, 11:55am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jitter while testing ADC (Read 468 times)
Sid
Community Member

Jitter while testing ADC
Nov 28th, 2005, 7:41pm

Hello,

Does only "clock source" jitter affect my SNR while testing my ADC, or does the jitter in my "input signal" also matter?

I am loaning a state-of-the-art low-jitter clock source for testing my 14 bit ADC, but I will still be using a "value price" function generator for my input signal. Do I have to worry about the jitter in my input signal? I will be using a band-pass filter to improve the harmonic distortion of the input signal before it is applied to my ADC.

Thanks,
Sid

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Jitter while testing ADC
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2005, 10:37pm

Hi, Sid,

I think the jitter in the input signal affects the testing because that jitter deteriorates the SNR of the input signal. However, the SNR of the input signal affects the testing directly. So just find the SFDR, SNR and THD parameters in the manual of your signal generator.

To test such a high resolution ADC it is a good idea to filter the input signal if you have not good enough signal generator. Smiley

Look into this problem from another perspective, the clock source and input signal are locked to the same reference timing clock. So we assume the clock source is phase locked to an sine wave w/o jitter (the input signal). So we only need know the jitter of the clock source.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.