The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 10:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Post Layout Simulation with Calibre (Read 8062 times)
Sezi

I LoVe ICs!

Sweden
Post Layout Simulation with Calibre
Dec 01st, 2005, 12:30pm

Hello,
I want to make a post-layout simulation in Calibre. At the moment I'm extracting the layout with CalibreXRC and looking at the report and placing the parasitic capacitances in the schematic view and simulating. But it takes a long time and I know that this is much simpler with Diva, because within Spectre, the circuit can be simulated with its "extracted view" by adding in the Setup>Environment menu in Analog Design Environment window. So is there a simpler way to make post-layout simulations in Calibre?  :-/

Thanks!
Sezi

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: Post Layout Simulation with Calibre
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2005, 2:14pm

Hi Sezi,

you can generate an extracted view with Calibre (called "Calibre View" by Mentor) exactly the same than with Diva or Assura. There is an appnote on the Mentor SupportNet describing the steps and it is also discussed in the documentation (check Appendix A, "Creating a Calibre View" in the Calibre Interactive User's Manual). The appnote is located here (pwd required):
http://www.mentor.com/supportnet/member/appnotes/pdf/5107.pdf

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
bernd

Munich/Germany
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2005, 1:42am

Hi,

You didn't tell us in which environment you try to do a post layout
simulation.
Is it pure Mentor, Calibre and Eldo or is it mixed Mentor and Cadence, Calibre and Spectre.

> I want to make a post-layout simulation in Calibre.
The simulation has to be done  with a simulator Eldo or Specrte in this case, Calibre is just the LVS and Extraction tool.

An additional hint to Pauls input, if you  use  a  mixed Mentor and Cadence environment you should rather use the Hierarchy Editor with the config view to alter the switch view list then doing this over the Environment Setup. This allows you to directly probe your extracted netist in the schematic at least with Assura and Spectre.

Bernd

Just another lonesome cad guy
Sezi

I LoVe ICs!

Sweden
Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2005, 9:05am

Hi Paul and Bernd,

My simulation environment is Spectre(S/RF) in Cadence and i'm not using Mentor's tools. I'm making the layout with LayoutXL and LVS/extraction with Calibre. So in this case can I ask for any new suggestions? Paul I tried the web page but I don't have username/pass as i'm not using Mentor.

Sezi

View Profile   IP Logged
bernd

Munich/Germany
Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2005, 10:11am

Sezi,

I can't give you further hints at this point, because I'm using Cadence Assura
for LVS/Extraction, just know Calibre form DRC and LVS/Extraction
form 4 Years ago.

Why not sign up to Mentors SupportNet and get the AppNote Paul
suggested.
You are using a Mentor Tool, because Calibre is one.
http://www.mentor.com/supportnet/quickaccess/SelfReg.do

Bernd

Just another lonesome cad guy
Sezi

I LoVe ICs!

Sweden
Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2005, 11:56am

Ok I registered to the website and downloaded the document. I think I can manage with the rest and thank you very much guys for your help!  :)

Sezi

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.