The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 4:31am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plot fT, MOS transition frequency /w Spectre (Read 5179 times)
Croaker

Plot fT, MOS transition frequency /w Spectre
Dec 01st, 2005, 4:02pm

Hi, is there a simple way to get a plot for fT of a MOSFET as Vgs varies?  Or is the only way to parametrically sweep Vgs, observe fT, and enter the values into Excel.  

I'm sure it's been done a billion times before but I didn't find any threads here.  There is one thread that asks about plotting fT/Ids, but it referred the poster back to the one about plotting operating points...which would have helped with the gm plotting part.  Unless I've missed something, fT is not an operating point value, so this doesn't help.

fT is defined as the transition frequency, where id/ig=1.  The drain and source are ac-shorted when this frequency is determined, and it is approx. fT = gm/(2*pi*Cgs).  I guess one way would be to just plot this expression using the given op. point values for gm, Cgs, etc.  

Thanks,
Marc

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Re: Plot fT, MOS transition frequency /w Spectre
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2005, 6:07pm

Things seem to work out alright if I just save the DC op points and plot ft=gm/(2*pi*(Cgs+Cgd))!  Hope this helps!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.