The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 3:59pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pnoise analysis (Read 2908 times)
Paul Geraedts
Community Member

GIGO

Enschede, Netherlands
pnoise analysis
Dec 10th, 2005, 5:10pm

Hi!

During recent pnoise simulations two questions came up.

First, why does the list as produced by the 'noise summary' option (of the 'analog design environment') add up to more than 100%? Doesn't it take the correlation between noise sources into account or so?

Second, due to inclusion of a semi-digital datapath to an existing oscillator the beat frequency has halved; the state of the resulting circuit is now periodic with twice the clock period. During the calculation of the phase noise of the oscillator I started doubting about the sidebands to include in the pnoise analysis to account for noise folding. Am I right to include all sidebands up to the preferred maximum sideband? Or should I only include the even sidebands (so exlude the odd sidebands)?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Paul

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul Geraedts
Community Member

GIGO

Enschede, Netherlands
Re: pnoise analysis
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2005, 2:49pm

It turns out that the 'noise summary' option of pnoise also contains negative contributions! Can this be anything else then a bug?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: pnoise analysis
Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2005, 3:12pm

If the output format has been selected as V^2/Hz, it definitely sounds suspicious. I think you should report it to customer support - you'll almost certainly need to provide a testcase - so that it can be investigated further.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.