The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 12:46pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Figure of Merit (FOM), VCO (Read 6436 times)
hrkhari

Figure of Merit (FOM), VCO
Jan 16th, 2006, 5:22pm

Hi Guys:

I have a problem here, lets say an integrated LC-CMOS osc has a power comsumption, P=6mW, center frequency, fo=1.8GHz, phase noise L{Δf}=-116dBc/Hz, at offset frequency, Δf=600kHz, according to the formula in determining FOM, given as:

FOM=10log{(fo/Δf)²/L{Δf}.P}

I could get the FOM as 71.12, but it is stated in the journal as 177.8, can anyone assist me in calculting the FOM. Thanks in advance

Rgds

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Figure of Merit (FOM), VCO
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2006, 7:03am

If you convert L{Δf} from dB to 10**(-116/10), and then assume the power in the FOM expression is supposed to be in mW, I get

10*log10((1.8g/600k)**2 / 10**(-116/10) / 6) = 177.7609

Note that P should be in the denominator, 1/(L{Δf} P), so that higher power leads to a lower FOM.

It looks like you were taking the absolute value of L{Δf}, without converting it from dB?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
hrkhari

Re: Figure of Merit (FOM), VCO
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2006, 9:55am

Thanks very much Geoffrey, I have another question, does anyone knows how to compute the tuning sensitivity, KVCO of a VCO for a particular tuning voltage. Thanks in advance

Rgds

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.