The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 9:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
opamp questions (Read 9172 times)
Steve_IC

opamp questions
Jan 16th, 2006, 9:16pm

attached is the opamp, I was having some questions( short channel)

1. the textbook and most people are talking about the ratio of M5 M7 and M3(M4) and M6. I was using bsim3 level 1 model without any problems, but transfer to cadence tools, with more sophiscated model, either m7 or m6 will be out of sat region, I have to resize m6 or m7, could not keep the ratio anymore. anyone has such experience, and any guideline?
what's more,  I found sometime a slight change of either m7 or m6's size, will make either one out of sat region. I was worrying that any process variations(10%-30% during fab) would make my design not work. someone told me feedback could solve this problem? is it true?

2. regarding the current mirror, theoretically, with adjusting the size ration m10 and m5 and m7 and m9, we should be able to get the desired current, but in the simulation, to be able to get desired current, I still need readjust the size of m5,7, 9. or either use cascode to get desired current. any comments?

Untitled-1_copy.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Cri Azzolini
Community Member

University of Parma, Italy
Re: opamp questions
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2006, 1:06am

Hi vhdl00,

regarding your problems I may want to follow the guidelines:

1) The voltage at the drain of M6 and M7 (node called (9) in your schematic) is defined by the output voltage (10) scaled down by the Vsg of M8. Therefore you can grant the saturation of both M6 and M7 by choosing a proper output common mode and the current/size of M8. You should also grant a very strong saturation since the opamp's output swing also affect the biasing point of node (9).
If your specifications claim for large output common-mode compliance and/or verly large output swing, you may introduce some biasing control-loop. Please note that in many applications the output common mode of your opamp is fixed by external factors and, once knonw, a proper biasing can be settled without additional extra servo-loops.

2) It seems to me that your current mirrors suffer from channel-lenght modulation: if the drain-to-source voltage of the devices is different, short channel effects may introduce a "copiature" error. This can be attenuated by longer channel devices and/or cascoding.

I hope this could be useful, regards.
Cri

View Profile WWW cri.azzolini   IP Logged
huber
Community Member

GO BEARS!

Los Angeles
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2006, 9:39am

Hello vdhl00-

1) Are you simulating the opamp open loop?  If so, then because of the high gain even a small error due to model nonidieality can be amplified and drive transistors out of saturation.  When the amplifier is connected in feedback, an input voltage develops that forces the output node (10) to a specific voltage, so these offsets are accounted for.  You really need to do the DC simulation closed loop to get the correct operating point.  To measure open loop AC parameters, take a look at the techniques in the paper by Hurst & Lewis, "Determination of Stability Using Return Ratios in Balanced Fully Differential Feedback Circuits."  Figures 2 & 3 show two ways of doing this.

2) Cri Azzolini is correct.  Short channel devices have poor output resistance, which means that current depends not only on Vgs, but also on Vds.  So if m10, m5, m7, m9 have different Vds then their bias currents will not match.  This is one of the main sources of offset I mentioned above, and it usually isn't a big problem when the amplifier is connected in feedback.  If it is a problem, then you can either make Vds equal by design (usually hard to do), or boost the output resistance by using longer channels (will slow down the amp) or cascodes (will consume voltage headroom).

-Dan

View Profile   IP Logged
Steve_IC

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2006, 10:50am

Cri Azzolini and Huber, thanks a lot for you guys replies.

I was alway thinking the simulations was ideal---there should be no offset at all, seems I am wrong at this point. .
I thought dc gain measured in closed loop just to consider the loading effect. but in switched capacitor configuration, just like open circuit, am i right?
thanks again

View Profile   IP Logged
Cri Azzolini
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2006, 12:20am

vhdl00,

as long as you do not perform statistical simulations (i.e. MonteCarlo Mismatch), any mismatch is absent from your circuits. The channel-length modulation is a deterministic second-order effect and is related to the channel which is pinched-off when the device is biased in the saturation region. You will find this effect in any textbook.
As Dan huber suggested, generally speaking the DC operationg point of opamps should always be simulated in a closed-loop configuration. If you are studying SC circuits I suggest you to try PSS/PAC simulations which are slightly more complicated but quite useful even for discrete-time circuits. You may find them in the SpectreRF manual but, unfortunately, many examples are focused on RF circuits (mixers, receivers,...) for which those analysis were originally designed for: nevertheless an introductive guide by K.Kundert is available on the "Analysis" folder of this Designer's Guide Community.

Bye,
Cri

steven
Community Member

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2006, 4:03pm

Hi All,

I realized that this topic was somehow related to my current problem. In the telescopic opamp design, I had difficulties in getting the all transistors in saturation within certain region. I am wondering the comment that "the DC operation point should be simulated in close-loop" also can be applied to differential amplifier.

Thanks in advance,
Steven

View Profile   IP Logged
Cri Azzolini
Community Member

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2006, 12:33am

Hi Steven,

even fully-differential amplifiers should be biased once in a closed-loop feedback. Moreover a further matter should be considered: since they require common-mode feedback circuits (CMFB), their simulation is slightly complicated, especially if you are using a discrete-time CMFB, i.e. switched-capacitor CMFB, which do not work in DC conditions.
For the simulation of fully-differential amplifier (either telescopic or any other topology) with discrete-time CMFB the PSS analysis if very useful since the operating point is evaluated all over the whole clock period (in the meanwhile the CMFB is working!).

Bye,
Cri

Steve_IC

Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2006, 7:03am

Hi Cri,

thanks for your inputs.

Now I have some doubts for the design medthodology. I thought working in a bottom to top way, We need design and test a single design module and build them up. But seems you are suggesting to hook up all the components together at the beginning and do the simulations.

Steve also mention the small deviation margins for some devices, you meam with CMFB setting the operating points, they are not issues anymore, right?

View Profile   IP Logged
steven
Community Member

Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2006, 9:36am

Hi Cri, Vhdl00, and others,

Cri is right that I am using discrete time CMFB, ie., switched cap CMFB. Since I don't have Spectre and PSS but Spice, it is difficut to track the OPs. If Cri has simulation references for Spice,  please let me know. Anyway, I managed to make some improvements but two problems still existing:

The open loop gain is not enough. Tweaking around transistor sizes seemed don't work. I have not increased the tail current though. I have checked that all transistors are at saturation but may missed something because of SC CMFB after digesting what Cri said. Also, a little change in transistors will cause resizing, which Vhdl00 may have experienced.

When doing step response, the output missed a constant input common mode voltage. In other words, if the output plus the input common mode voltage, the settling performance will be good. I think I might use the wrong way to simulate the step response.

Thanks.
Steven

View Profile   IP Logged
Cri Azzolini
Community Member

Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2006, 3:21am

Steven,

for your simulation with Spice I suggest you to perform DC biasing using an ideal continuous-time CMFB: you may use voltage-controlled-voltage-sources and so on. The results can be a little bit affected by this substitution but it is a starting point; unfortunately with this approach you can not verify the stability of the CMFB loop: in my opinion this is the main problem of this simulation test-bench.
Once your opamp is biased, you should swap back to the switched-capacitors CMFB and perform transient analysis in order to fix the last details of the CMFB block.

Regarding your question about the DC-gain of telescopic amplifiers, you know, it is related to the transconductance of the input devices and to the small-signal resistance seen at the output nodes: if you do not want to raise your tail power consumption, you may try to insert boosting servo-amplifiers for both cascoded devices and active load. This solution is quite diffused in literature and can greatly improve the output resistance but it is quite tricky for high-speed opamps since boosting amplifiers can slow down the step response. If you are interested you may consult the paper:
D.Vecchi, C.Azzolini, A.Boni, F.Chaaoub, L.Crespi, "100-MS/s,14-b Track-and-Hold Amplifier in 0.18-um CMOS", Proc. of 2005 IEEE ESSCIRC Conference.
or contact me by email.
Finally, do not forget the DC-gain is also limited by the voltage output swing (which can drive the output devices in triode region) and, last but not least, by the technology you are using!

Bye,
Cri

steven
Community Member

Reply #10 - Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:54pm

Hello Cri,

Thanks for your replies. I will try to use an ideal CMFB to see how it behaves. In addition, I am not sure how you test your SC CMFB circuit. I saw papers mainly regarded the stability of CMFB loop. Does it mean the CMFB's loop has to be tested separately?

What I try to do is to just use conventional topology to achieve around 90dB open loop gain without the help of gain boosting technique. After getting there, then I would go try other techniques. But I still couldn't find an efficient way to twist the transistors and currents.

I can't access the paper you mentioned, if possible, please send the paper to me through a PM. Thanks in advance.

By the way, I figured out what I had done wrong with my step response. I used a wrong feedback configuration in testing. Now it is fine.

Thanks,
Steven

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.