The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 3:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Definition of a 2.5v nmos (Read 1790 times)
MTXamp

Singapore
Definition of a 2.5v nmos
Jan 28th, 2006, 1:01am

Hi

According to the documentations, my current pdk provides 2.5V nmos and pmos transistors. May I know if this 2.5V is refering to the breakdown voltage of the mos transistors? Meaning that no more than 2.5V should be applied across Vds? Thank you.  :)

It was not clearly stated in the pdk documentation.  :(

Best regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: Definition of a 2.5v nmos
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2006, 12:43pm

Hi,

the device voltage determines the normal regime of operation of the transistor, i.e. a 2.5V device is supposed to be operated under supply voltages of 2.5Vą10%. It will certainly not break down when being subject to a somewhat larger gate or drain-source voltage for some time, but this is not recommended for reliable operation over a longer time scale. You can have a look at the reliability information usually included in the design kits for more information on ageing under stress.

Some people also use devices under supply voltages exceeding the nominal value and make sure that each individual device isn't subject to a GB, GS, GD or DS voltage exceeding the nominal value. This practice is considered arguable by others.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.