The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 1:27am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Redundancy in Pipe-Lined ADC (Read 7078 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Redundancy in Pipe-Lined ADC
Jan 30th, 2006, 11:59pm

While reading a lecture on Pipe-Line ADC design, it asserted that redundancy in pile-line ADC converter will help reduce the chance of having missing code issue.

It asserted that we can tolerate sub-adc error if previous stage's residue is kept below the "BOX" of next stage's input. The box refered to as full-scale voltage of ADC.

Do you agree on that? How to understand it?

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: Redundancy in Pipe-Lined ADC
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2006, 1:17pm

Hi Neoflash,

I guess you are talking about digital error correction. You can find quite some interesting documentation by googling for this term. A brief description is given here:
http://www.maxim-ic.com.cn/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/1023/ln/cn
http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~timor/EC_course/chp_5.pdf
The basic idea is that each stage (except the last) generates an additional bit compared to the corresponding residue gain of the stage. If you multiply the residue by 4, the stage generates 3 bits. In this way, you extend the full-scale of each stage and avoid the amplified residue to exceed this same full-scale (not so easy to explain with words). Jespers also has a nice extensive description of this in his book "Integrated Converters : D to A and A to D Architectures, Analysis and Simulation".

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2006, 8:06pm

I agree that redundant bits will reduce the residue into next stage full-scale.

However, I still have two more questions to clarify:

1. From 1.5Bit stage, we got two bits. I think they are all useful. We should use digital logic to compute final results from both of them. So, it is not really redundant, right?
   Attched is the graph of how 1 bit overlap Pipe-lined ADC combine the bits. How 1.5bit combine bits?

2. What's 1.5Bit's advangate on missing code? How it attacks missing code issue?

combinebits.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2006, 12:27am

Hi Neoflash,

You have provided part of the answer yourself:

From 1.5Bit stage, we got two bits. I think they are all useful. We should use digital logic to compute final results from both of them. So, it is not really redundant, right?  

You get 2 bits from each 1.5-bit stage. Redundancy does not mean that you don't need both the bits. It just means
that the 2 bits do not really contain a full 2 bits of information. For instance, the output of a 1.5-bit stage is 00,01,10
but never 11. Therefore, there is some redundancy. There are various ways of looking at this redundancy, but hopefully, this is
enough.

Secondly, when you add the bits, you can see that you implement only a gain of 2 (1 bit shift). If you had no redundancy,
then you would shift the outputs of each stage by 2 positions, which would mean that there would be no overlap between
outputs from 2 different stages.

On missing codes, I would say that the digital redundancy helps in removing missing levels and not missing codes. Essentially,
you implement only a gain of 2 in your MDAC while using more comparators than would be needed, thus creating more decision levels
(redundancy).

On the analog side, this is equivalent to implementing a gain of 2 in the MDAC while using 2 comparators instead of 1. You should
look at the residue transfer curve of the MDAC. You will see that the residue level around the comparator thresholds is limited to
half of the full scale range. Therefore, any comparator offset can push the residue curve up/down by a quarter of the full scale range (VREF/4)
without causing missing levels in the later stages.

I guess it is best if you read up some references. Here is a paper, but first look at the references section at the paper by Lewis [7].
This paper by Lewis is one of the early ones on digital redundancy, and if it does not explain the concept completely well to you,
then look at Cline's thesis (kabuki.eecs.berkeley.edu). Hopefully, these help.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2006, 12:38am

Hi Neoflash,

I guess there's little to add to Vivek's explanation. Just one more reference which provides a nice illustration of the 1.5b/stage case:
Anup Savla, Jennifer Leonard
"ERROR CORRECTION IN PIPELINED ADCS USING ARBITRARY RADIX CALIBRATION"
Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on VLSI Design (VLSID’04)
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/8911/28180/01260918.pdf?tp=&arnumber=1260918&isn...

As Vivek says, this technique does not guarantee in itself the absence of missing codes, it compensates for comparator offsets and reference level offsets, which may contribute to the suppression of missing codes.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2006, 3:40am

vivkr wrote on Feb 1st, 2006, 12:27am:
Hi Neoflash,

On missing codes, I would say that the digital redundancy helps in removing missing levels and not missing codes.

I agree with your opinion on this part absolutely. That's against what I read in lecture notes from EE246 UCB, however, I believe we are right.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.