The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 3:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
variation of bandgap output voltage (Read 308 times)
jcpu2006

Hsinchu
variation of bandgap output voltage
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:22pm

need  help  regarding variation of bandgap output voltage:

Process used: standard CMOS,
BJT device: parasitic vertical, ratio=12:2
architecture: bandgap with opamp, opamp gain ~ 40dB, loop AC stable
measurement result: +/-70mV standard deviation, mean-value=1.2V @room temperature,
question:
   need help / reference material  for a systematic method to reduce with the variation,
I wonder if the major variation come from the BJT process control??
Does someone has experience upon this?
Huh

View Profile   IP Logged
chase.ng
Community Member

penang/malaysia
Re: variation of bandgap output voltage
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2006, 8:43am

Hi,

How about increasing the opamp gain, and try to increase the size of the opamp input differential pair to reduce the random offset? I think opamp offset will probably contribute major deviations to the bandgap output. Try Razavi's book on how to reduce effects of opamp offset in bandgap.

BTW, I am just curious, how is your monte carlo simulation results correlate with your measurement results?

Chase

Chase
View Profile chase.ng   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2006, 12:35pm

Hi,

you give a standard deviation of ±70mV on Vbg, but you don't say what is the number of measurements and especially what is the variable.
Are there several measurements on the same die in a timely manner, in which case the reason would be noise/drift?
Are the measurements performed on different dies, in which case the problem is process variations (device mismatch, opamp gain and offset, ...)
Are the measurements performed while sweeping temperature, in which case your variations are due to the higher temperature coefficients and opamp gain and offset variations?

In any case 40dB of DC gain in the opamp seems low to me as already stated by chase. You can also expect the DC gain to change a little over temperature.

Based your answers to the above questions it should be possible to give further indications on the possible sources.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2006, 10:06pm

I've been doing bandgaps for quite some time.  Variation is generally caused by mismatches, although you can mess up a bandgap dozens of ways.  Most likely culprit is op-amp offset, which gets gained up by the resistor ratio (probably about 12 in your case).  An opamp offset of just 6mV would give you 72mV at the output if the gain is 12...  The second likely culprit is resistor mismatch.  

I don't think low opamp gain is causing variance, but it will likely cause other problems (e.g. low power supply rejection, etc.).

There was a paper at 2004 CICC on a systematic way to reduce the effects of mismatches by optimizing the areas allocated to the components by Gregoire: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/9389/29800/01358908.pdf?tp=&arnumber=1358908&isn...

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2006, 11:43am by RobG »  
View Profile   IP Logged
jcpu2006

Hsinchu
Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2006, 1:19am

Dear Sir:

Allow me to answer Paul first: It's the second case:
"the measurements performed on different dies, in which case the problem is process variations (device mismatch, opamp gain and offset, ...)"
upon 100 samples at room temperature.

Secondly, please refer to the attachment:
The gain is not that high, and what we have for comparator input stage is W/L=10u/10u m=8 pmos pair.
I'll be back with some monte carlo analysis results.

Thanks in advance,

View Profile   IP Logged
Raul
Community Member

San Jose, CA.
Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2006, 12:05pm

To add to the comments above. Have you checked if you have high impact ionization  currents in your CMOS process affecting your bandgap's output voltage? This would be seen as curent going from drain to bulk (idb) in your .op analysis. Check at maximum supply and -40 Celsius to see worst case results.
No matter how high the open loop gain of your opamp, high impact ionization current in your transistors will cause your PSRR to look awful since these currents generate an offset proportional to power supply. The only solution here is to sub-regulate your power supply inside the IC or use a technology that doesn't have bad impact ionization performance. Good luck.

regards, Raul Perez
View Profile   IP Logged
jcpu2006

Hsinchu
Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2006, 8:17pm

Dear Raul:

Those data of chip to chip variation are obtained at same VDD.

I could not understand why this variation has something to do with PSRR.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Raul
Community Member

San Jose, CA.
Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2006, 9:22pm

if indeed your problem is related to impact ionization currents creating errors in your reference(nothing you've posted implies that this is the case or rules it out so this is only something that you should check). higher supply voltages would increase the Vds of some of the transistors in your reference and that would increase the error introduced to your reference voltage at the output through the idb currents. This is why i mention PSRR, because it's an error that depends on supply voltage. higher supply voltages result in higher errors. good luck.

regards, Raul Perez
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.