The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 11:35am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bandgap reference question (Read 2062 times)
4analog

Bandgap reference question
Mar 14th, 2006, 6:58pm

Hi,
I have a question on the bandgap refence. I am refering to the the bandgap reference where the Opamp is used to match the two nodes X & Y and bias the current sources that set the current in both the legs , where v(X) = VBE1 and V(Y) = dVBE + VBE2.  

(Razavi, Pg:391, Fig:11.18)

The current is mirrored to generate the PTAT current and then the Vref is obtained by using another Resistor ( R3) and BJT #3, such that  Vref = Iptat* R3 + VBE3 .

My question is, why cant we just use the node voltage V(y) as Vref instead of mirroring the PTAT current and using another resitor,BJT ..?

If we can tap the voltage V(Y), then what about the voltage  V(X)..? SInce the Opamp forces, both X and Y to be the same, is V(X) also a bandgap voltage..?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: Bandgap reference question
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2006, 12:37am

Hi,

You can do this. See Thomas H Lee's book (Chapter on References), Fig. 9.9 (CMOS Bandgap Reference)

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
chase.ng
Community Member

penang/malaysia
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2006, 11:22am

Hi,

Interesting question. After some calculations, the I realized that it is not possible to get a bandgap voltage at Y. The voltage at Y is VY = VBE + VTln(A2/A1). To get 0 TC at 300k, assume a -2mV/K change in VBE, the ratio A2/A1 will be exp(23.2), which is a whopping 1.2e10. So i guess it is not possible anyway to have bandgap voltage at Y. Did I make any mistakess?

Regards,
Chase

Chase
View Profile chase.ng   IP Logged
4analog

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2006, 11:54am

Lets say, I am not worried about how big the size of the resistor is ...

My question is more interms of the concept....

Let say we can place a big resisitor such that V(y) = VBE2 + dVBE.  If we can use V(y) as a bandgap voltage, what about the node V(X)..?? Sicne the Opamp forces these node to be equal, can I also assume that V(X) is also a bandgap voltage..??

What about there temp coeff...?? V(X) = VBE1  whereas V(Y) = dVBE + VBE2...  

What will be the temp coeff of V(x)...??  CTAT..?? or constant..?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
chase.ng
Community Member

penang/malaysia
Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2006, 12:19pm

Hi,

Just want to clarify that A2/A1 is not the ratio of a resistor but the ratio of BJT ratio where n=A2/A1 in Razavi book, A1 is always 1. As for Vx, I am sorry that I guess I do not have the answer. Maybe someone else will be able to help.

Chase

Chase
View Profile chase.ng   IP Logged
sugar
Community Member

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2006, 6:02pm

both Vx and Vy are temperature independent.
Vx = Vbe1 = Vt * ln (Ic/Iss)
Because of feedback, Ic is not constant.
It will compensate temp variation of Vt, thus make Vx constant.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2006, 10:18pm

Chase is correct... Even though v(y) is Vbe + dVbe, the dVbe term cannot be made large enough for v(y) to become a "bandgap."  The current ratio required is something like 1e9:1.

View Profile   IP Logged
qltong

Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2006, 11:42pm

Vy=Vbe+dVbe=Vbe+Vtln(A2/A1), A2/A1 must be very large for the compensation and voltage on Ry is constant. Usually Vy is not irrelevant with temperature.
When using R3,Vz=Vbe+R3*dVbe/Ry. We can choose R3/Ry large enough to make the compensation.
If you want to use Vy, add a resistor R3 below the two BJTs.

View Profile   IP Logged
4analog

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2006, 6:08pm

Thank you all for actively participating in this discussion.

I am mainly interested in the  temp coefficient of V(X)  vs V(y) if they are forced to be equal by the opamp.  

I am not worried about the huge ratio of  A2/A1 required to make V(y) a bandgap voltage.  Lets  assume (only for this discussion)  that in some way, ( ex: adding R3 below the BJT, as mentioned by qltong) we can acheive V(y) as the bandgap voltage.

Now, since the nodes v(X) and V(y) are forced to be the same, will there temp coeff also be the same..?
The reply by posted by "river", suggesting that temp coeff of v(x) may be the same as V(y) , as Ic is PTAT, sounds reasonable, but I am still not sure..

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2006, 9:39pm

Well, obviously, if they are forced to be equal by the op-amp they are "equal" in all ways including temp co.  If you can find a way to make V(y) constant over temperature, such as adding a PTAT signal to the base, then you also have v(x) constant.

View Profile   IP Logged
4analog

Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:46pm

chase,RobG and Qltong: You were  right... Smiley

V(Y) cannot be a bandgap reference  because of the missing factor for dVBE to make it large enough to acheive the bandgap voltage. Hence, V(y) and so does v(x) are not badgap references though they are equal. There temp coeffs are the same, but not zero...

thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.