The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 8:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase noise of differential oscilator (Read 3170 times)
shortckt

Washington
Phase noise of differential oscilator
Apr 06th, 2006, 5:24pm

Hello,

While setting up PSS and PNOISE analysis of diffferential oscillator, should the refrence node be selected as ground or complementary node? I get difference in phase noise results if I select complementary signals, not ground. To make my question more clear:

Oscillator node: /Vout+
Reference node: /gnd! OR /Vout-

Also, how can I calculate the phase difference between signals using calculator in spectre? Right now I can calculate by running transient simulation  and converting the time shift observed by visual inspection into phase shift, but it is not very accurate.

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Phase noise of differential oscilator
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2006, 8:52am

the reference node should be Vout-, as you will use the VCO signal as a differential signal.

with regards to the phase, you can see the how "differential" the differential ouptus are from the pss run. using the main form you can plot the phase of Vout+, and the phase of Vout- against harmonics of the VCO frequency. You can use the "add to outputs" button to get thexact calculator expression, and value it at the VCO frequency.

an example for a 1MHz frequency is:

value(phaseDegUnwrapped(v("/Voutp" ?result "pss_fd")),1M)-value(phaseDegUnwrapped(v("/Voutn" ?result "pss_fd")),1M)

hope this helps

View Profile   IP Logged
shortckt

Washington
Re: Phase noise of differential oscilator
Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2006, 10:04am

Hi,

Awesome. It works perfectly  :)

Thanks alot.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.