The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 10:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to simula power supply noise effect to  j (Read 12816 times)
zhaojiayuan

Love to talk

How to simula power supply noise effect to  j
Apr 12th, 2006, 8:41pm

Hi!  ALL Wink

In DLL/PLL design, for estimate the jitter/phase noise of the delay cell, PSS+PNOISE method is often implemented. However, when considering the noise effect on power/Gnd, above simulation doesn't work.
Any ideas to simulate the jitter  in a integrated tool with the power supply/gnd noise inclueded?

Any suggetion will be highly appreciated... Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Re: How to simula power supply noise effect to  j
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2006, 3:19am

Hello,

For testing the effect of supply noise on jitter performance, I typically superpose a sine wave (known amplitude/frequency) on the supply
and perform a transient analysis. The waveform of interest is extracted from the binary output (using a custom MATLAB script) and the deviation between
the ideal and actual zero crossings is determined. Note that depending on the applied frequency, simulation times can blow up!
Typically, for sinusoidal supply noise, the extracted jitter will also exhibit a sinusoidal pattern.

An alternative would be to 'estimate' the supply noise spectrum in the frequency domain, apply an IFFT and superpose this waveform on the supply.

Kind Regards,

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2006, 3:25am

Hi jiayuan,

you can use pss+pxf to get the small signal transfer function from the supply nodes to the outputs, and hence get an idea of the power supply/gnd influence on the output.
the spectreRF documentation covers how to do this.

the issue i think is usually more to do with what noise will be on the supplies in the first place, in terms of frequency & amplitude etc. That will depend on your circuits (eg. regulators, clocked circuits etc) and other things (eg layout effects/cross talk, substrate noise pickup, bonding etc.) on your chip. I you know a dominant noise characteristic on your supply, you could always confirm the pss+pxf (small signal bode response) with a transient analyses.

cheers,
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2006, 5:16am

Hi,

I would like to note that a small signal analysis can give a a good first-order estimate, but for circuits like  oscillators - where the 'small signal' assumption does not hold - performing a transient analysis is more accurate. After all, your operating point is changing over time (periodically time-variant).
Furthermore, if the noise on your supply becomes very large (50mV-100mV), the validity of AC simulations is limited for the same reasons.

Kind Regards,

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
zhaojiayuan

Love to talk

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2006, 6:45pm

Roll Eyes Thank Peter and A.W.

From what you said, I cannot estimate the contribution of power supply noise to the output clock directly in SpectreRF pnoise analysis.  :-[  

If i include the power regulators in VCO circuit, and perform PSS+PNoise, will it take the power noise in account?

PSS+PXF or transient analysis is not direct to see the result (jitter or phase noise ).

Thanks Again!

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2006, 11:43pm

Hi,

If you include the power regulator with the VCO, then the reported phase noise will indeed incorporate the effect of the supply noise (since you include the devices generating this noise in your setup).
If your oscillator takes e.g. a BGR-based current, make sure to include this one in your SPICE deck too. The biasing is an often neglected source of noise: for a PSS (or PAC) analysis, including the BGR will not increase simulation time too much and will make your phase noise prediction much more realistic.

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
ccd

Re: How to simula power supply noise effect to &nb
Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2006, 4:11pm

I did pss+pxf on a vco to see the influence of power supply on vco clock output as ACWWONG suggested and got a positve dB gain.  This doesn' t seem right. I was expecting a negative dB gain from pxf. Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks in advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2006, 3:46am

ccd wrote on Oct 5th, 2006, 4:11pm:
I did pss+pxf on a vco to see the influence of power supply on vco clock output as ACWWONG suggested and got a positve dB gain.  This doesn' t seem right. I was expecting a negative dB gain from pxf. Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks in advance.

i think its quite possible to have +ve pxf gain, denoting noise on the supply at certain frequencies will be magnified to the VCO output. Examples might be noise on the supply close to the vco frequency could be magnified by the tank Q, or say baseband low freqency noise on the supply could be modulated up to noise at the VCO output depending on how vtune/loopfilter is referenced etc.
Anyway if you're in doubt of your pxf result, you could do a transient, and inject a Vsupply signal tone at a small signal amplitude (1mV?) and see how it impact the VCO output to see if matched what pxf predicts.

cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2006, 10:22am

Be aware that any small signal analysis, like PNoise and PXF, cannot accurately predict jitter that is greater than a substantial fraction of the period of the circuit. So if the simulator is predicting jitter above that level it is outside the range where the results are valid.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ccd

Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2006, 10:44pm

AW,

Thanks for your response.  My vco contains a simple ring oscillator. I haven't tried the transient analysis you suggested yet.  I'm think the 1mV on the power supply will just translate to a small jitter on the vco clock.  I would imagine this jitter is so small that it gets buried in the numerical noise of the simulator. So, I'm not sure if I can find any correlation with pxf doing this transient analysis. Could you please correct me if I'm wrong here?

Thanks,
ccd

View Profile   IP Logged
ccd

Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2006, 11:06pm

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your response.  It sounds like pnoise/pxf are not the right analyses for PSSR for vco.  This leads to a question that I've been wanting to ask.  So, after doing pnoise analysis on my vco and calculating jitter from pnoise results, I've gotten very low jitter numbers, like a few ps range, but I know from experience that jitter due to power supply noise is a few orders of magnitude higher than this and certainly will swamp out jitter due to other types of noise.  So, it seems not very useful doing pnoise analysis. I'm definitely missing something here for thinking this. Could you please explain?

Thank you,
ccd

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2006, 11:59pm

Using PSS & PXF can accurately predict the PSSR of oscillators as long as the resulting phase or jitter variation is not an appreciable fraction of a period. If it is smaller than that, PXF gives results much more quickly, accurately, and more easily than using transient. However, you should be careful if the frequency of your interferrer is low or if the interferring signal is large.

This situation is similar to the one with AC analysis. If you perform an AC analysis and find that the gain of you amplifier is 100, and then you turn around and say that if you have a 1V input the amplifier will produce a 100V output, you'd probably be wrong. This does not make AC analysis useless. You just have to know the limits of the analysis. If you apply PXF to an oscillator it is going to compute a series of transfer functions. You can use the transfer functions to predict the response of the circuit as long as the resulting response would not leave the linear range of the circuit. If it does, the response will saturate, just as it would if the input of the amplifier caused the output to reach the supply voltages.

It may be that the overall response due to an interferrer is larger than the noise produced internally by the oscillator, but it may not be in the frequency range of interest. With the interferrer you generally have some control over its frequency, but the same is not true for internally generated noise.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ccd

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2006, 8:00am

Thanks Ken, your explanation helps.

Regards,
ccd

View Profile   IP Logged
smlogan
Community Member

Boston, MA
Reply #13 - Oct 28th, 2006, 9:11pm

Dear ccd,

I've read over the many good responses. I've had the opportunity to simulate the impact of supply noise on many oscillator types. With respect to the ring based VCO, the sensitivity of the design to supply and ground noise is a function of the degree to which the propagation delay is dependent on the supply and ground levels. Since the parameters effecting the propagation delay may not be accurately represented in its small-signal model, as many have stated, the accuracy with which a small-signal analysis estimates the sensitivity of the design to the supply and ground modulation is limited. Hence, I would also recommend the use of large signal simulations to estimate output jitter sensitivity to supply and ground modulation.

As a means of more clearly examining the parameters responsible for the sensitivity, it might be worth examiningthe variation in propagation delay of the basic delay cell of the VCO. You might even start with a set of transient simulations where the DC value of VDD and GND are independently changed and compute the propagation delay time. By plotting the propagation delay as a function of VDD or GND, one may compare the propagation delay sensitivityof different topologies of delay cells. Of course, the freqeuncy of the modulation (and hence its non-DC nature) must still be considered. For example, on chip bypass capacitance will serve to attenuate the modulation on VDD and GND above a specific frequency. Nevertheless, the lower the sensitivity of the propagation delay is to the DC variation of VDD and GND, the more immune it will be as the frequency of the modulation is increased from DC.

Just thought I would add a few pennies to the discussion,

Shawn

Shawn
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.