The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 9:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
error amplifier specs in ldo (Read 3445 times)
chethan

error amplifier specs in ldo
Apr 18th, 2006, 6:19am

Hi all,
I am supposed to design an LDO with 1.5V ( Fixed) output and a max current of 150mA. How should i find out what gain I need for my error amplifier. How can i decide upon the specifications for error amplifier like GBW, slewrate etc. can someone help me on this. any materials regarding the same would be very helpful.

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Re: error amplifier specs in ldo
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2006, 10:59am

Hi,

Here's a link to Rincon-Mora's website, containing lots of stuff about CMOS LDO's:
http://users.ece.gatech.edu/rincon-mora/

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
Raul
Community Member

San Jose, CA.
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2006, 6:34pm

Your gain is set by your line regulation(PSRR at 0Hz) or your load regulation, whichever is worse. Try the slow P or weak P corner at maximum temperature and this will tell you the worst case gain for a weak power device.
The bandwidth is set by either the max Iq available or your PSRR over frequency requirement(Audio usually requires 60 dB @20KHz) since you need to have loop gain at the frequency you want rejection.  There are all sort of tricks; dynamic biasing of certain key blocks in the LDO proportional to load current, ways to compensate the loop, interesting architectures for any load capacitor stability, etc... The smaller your load capacitor, the faster your linear loop needs to be in order to avoid the output voltage from dropping, dynamic biasing usually helps here a lot.

regards, Raul Perez
View Profile   IP Logged
grosser
Community Member

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2006, 10:59am

chethan wrote on Apr 18th, 2006, 6:19am:
Hi all,
I am supposed to design an LDO with 1.5V ( Fixed) output and a max current of 150mA. How should i find out what gain I need for my error amplifier. How can i decide upon the specifications for error amplifier like GBW, slewrate etc. can someone help me on this. any materials regarding the same would be very helpful.

in prof. Mora's publications you have formulas, which relates GBW to time response, gain to load regulation...

there is an article:

Relationship between frequency response and settling time of operational amplifiers- google it

regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.