The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 7:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LNA Biasing (Read 1490 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

LNA Biasing
May 03rd, 2006, 1:45am

Hi all,

I followed some advice I recently got on this forum and changed my LNA biasing to improve the Linearity, but to do this I need to use the input RF transistors of my LNA as the other side of a current mirror. In other words picture on the left leg a cascode current mirror biased with IPTAT and on the right leg is my cascode LNA. The gates of the two legs are connected by a large resistor and the current mirror noise is grounded by a large capacitor.

So anyway my problem is that while i seem to be getting good current-temperature variation, the matching is off. My LNA RF transistors are 5 times the size of the current mirror transistors but the current is more than 10 times the value. One thing is that i'm using minimum device length since it is at RF, so i expect poor matching...but not that poor. This primitive diagram might help (see below)...its obviously not and exact design but basically while W/L of B is 10 times W/L of A, the current through A is more than 20 times that of B. All transistors are minimum length (0.18u). One other thing is probably very important is that the transistors are operating very close to the threshold voltage. You may even say they are in the subthreshold region...

Tips would be great since it took me ages to draw that diagram....thanks,

Aaron

Ibias     gnd             vdd
  l          l                 >
  l         =                 >
  l ___    l                 >  
  l__   l   l              __l------ll----RFout
A  __ll------vvvv---ll__  B
  l                             l
  l____                      l
  l__   l                  __l  
  l         l          l        l
  l        =          l        l
  l         l         rfin    gnd
gnd     gnd

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: LNA Biasing
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2006, 3:36am

Hi Aaron,

The current ratio should be close to W/L ratio even in deep submicron, and  low overdrive voltage. I am using weak inversion 130nm devices a have no such problem.

I am a bit confused as to your comments of
" My LNA RF transistors are 5 times the size of the current mirror transistors but the current is more than 10 times the value. One thing is that i'm using minimum device length since it is at RF, so i expect poor matching...but not that poor. This primitive diagram might help (see below)...its obviously not and exact design but basically while W/L of B is 10 times W/L of A, the current through A is more than 20 times that of B."

If W/L(A)=1, and W/L(B)=10, then the current ratio should be close to 10. The exact match will depend on vds of each device, but based upon your diagram, it looks fine assuming the top device B (cascode of the LNA) is not in triode due to IR drop across the load, and you don't degenerate the bottom tier (you can degenrate of course, only if the R in bottom A source is 1/10 that of B source). An error of 10% is quite feasible with not exact vds's, but 100% means there is something wrong.

As i initially answered your previous post, i recall you said you had a differential LNA, so you bias from a common reference with two bias resistors, one for each side of the LNA. Your (factor of 2 ?) error is not due to the fact you have two differential arms ?

ANyway, as an aside, it is not necessary for the top tier A device (cascode bias), the gate of top device B can go to Vdd, the current matching of the bottom tier should suffice. Of course you can add IR drop/diode in the refernce side to keep Vds of bottom tier A & B the same.

Hope this helps.

aw

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2006, 6:23pm

Hi ACWWong,

nice to hear from you...I double checked and there's definately twice as much current in the LNA so its not because I accidently read both differential sides. Theres also no degeneration resistor. You understood my question correctly so I guess there's some other problem...

Also, I didn't want to clamp the gate of my cascode device (side A)  to VDD since this will cause the DC current to vary with VDD. My design is supposed to be relatively immune to supply variation.

thanks for all the help,

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2006, 2:11am

Hi Aaron,

the next thing would be to inspect carefully the netlist. I have worked in schematic entry kits, where the inter meaning of width (total or width per finger) and number of fingers/multiple instances can often cause confusion... some being passed to the netlister whilst others disappearing. Based on the factor of 2 error, perhaps your kit isn't handling these parameters the way you may expect.

cheers

alan

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #4 - May 4th, 2006, 2:32am

aaron_do wrote on May 3rd, 2006, 6:23pm:
Hi ACWWong,

Also, I didn't want to clamp the gate of my cascode device (side A)  to VDD since this will cause the DC current to vary with VDD. My design is supposed to be relatively immune to supply variation.

thanks for all the help,

Aaron

with regards to the bias, I meant tieing cascode B gate to vdd, and using top device A as a diode. doing this will not degrade current variation. What it will do will make the the casccode B device act more like a common gate and you no longer need the top R & C.

Ibias             vdd       vdd
  l                    l         >
  l                    |       >
  l ___              l        >  
  l__   l             l    __l------ll----RFout  
A  __ll--            ---ll__  B
  l                             l
  l____                      l
  l__   l                  __l  
  l         l          l        l
  l        =          l        l
  l         l         rfin    gnd
gnd     gnd

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #5 - May 4th, 2006, 2:42am

opps, just read back my previous post and noticed ibias!=vdd.... if ibias is supply independent, then what i said about no degradation in current variation with VDD is not correct....

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2006, 10:07pm

Thanks Alan,

I'll check up about the netlist, but i'm a little sceptical that that's the problem since I've tried using both RF transistor models and standard analog models in the left leg of the current mirror.

Also the mismatch only appears for the smaller device widths (total width and different width per finger seem to give same results) when I use a larger device on the left leg I get a correct match...of course the tradeoff is higher power consumption.

I've heard that there is some dependence of VT on device width so this could be the reason especially since I am using weak inversion where a small change in VT can result in a large change in I. If you happen to know about this dependence could you refer me to any papers?

thanks,
Aaron

BTW I actually misplaced the capacitor on my cascode device since it should connect directly to B sides gate to make it more common gate...just thought i'd clarify

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #7 - May 5th, 2006, 8:46am

Hi Aaron,

the other thing i can think about is looking at the model file for your FETs. Hopefully (?!?) there will be some notes as to how (on what range of W & L) the BSIMx was extracted and therefore valid.

As BSIM models are empirically derived, if you set W (or L) are outside the valid range, you can get very strange (and not so true?) effects.

cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.