The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Monte Carlo simulation takes longer (Read 1829 times)
huber
Community Member

GO BEARS!

Los Angeles
Monte Carlo simulation takes longer
May 04th, 2006, 7:27pm

I'm seeing about a 10x increase in simulation time for a Monte Carlo run compared to a normal simulation.  Is there any good reason for this or is this a symptom of a faulty design kit?  I'm doing a transient simulation of a subranging ADC with ~30k transistors and ~15k nodes in spectre.

Another question for anyone farmiliar with Monte Carlo: is there any reason to do the nominal run?  I usually turn this off.

Thanks for any help,
-Dan

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Monte Carlo simulation takes longer
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2006, 1:44am

One possible reason can be the increased memory usage - particularly if you're using mismatch (you end up with a lot more models, as each device has its own model).
Because of the extra memory, perhaps it is swapping?

Are you using MMSIM60? If so, that should help with memory consumption (the new front-end is much more memory efficient in these situations).

There's not normally much benefit in doing the nominal run in my opinion (except as a sanity check?).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.