The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 3:30pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High speed opamp -depends on GBW or BW? (Read 2209 times)
sylak

Silicon valley
High speed opamp -depends on GBW or BW?
May 16th, 2006, 9:50pm

Wondering what causes High speed in an opamp(closed loop).. I derived the step input for an closed loop single pole system to be
V0(1-e(-wf))
where wf is the closed loop bandwidth= wo(1+βAo)

where wo is open loop BW , Ao is open loop gain and β is feedback factor..

Is it good to approximate this wf to wo*β*Ao... considering wo << wo*β*Ao.

If I do this then the speed of the system depends on GBW and not BW.? But most of the books say speed depends on the BW(Rise time =0.35/BW).

Put it in another way
If I have an opamp1 which has say a BW of 300MHz and GBW of 1MHz and
and another opamp2 which has a BW of 500Mhz and GBW of 800Hz. Which is is faster Shockedpamp1 or opamp2?

Would appreciate enlightment on a simple (bothersome ) question?   Shocked

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Re: High speed opamp -depends on GBW or BW?
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2006, 9:58am

Consider the GBW to be f3dB*OpenLoopDCgain.  In a closed-loop configuration you directly trade-off bandwidth and gain.

As you've pointed out, the bandwidth is extended by (1+A*B), which is the same amount the gain is reduced by.

Consider one amp (single-pole rolloff) with a DC gain of 100 and f3dB of 1 MHz and another with 10 and 10 MHz.  You'll note that the Bode plots overlap at 10 MHz.  They both will allow the same closed-loop bandwidths, given the same gains (<=10).

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.