The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 3:17am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
LDO Stability check ... (Read 5781 times)
always@smart

ASIA
Re: LDO Stability check ...
Reply #15 - May 23rd, 2006, 6:06am

Dear Jun Feng and uncle_ezra,

Thanks for your reply.

Let me answer the question before I ask something else.

From your simulation above, I see that the overall gain is around 60dB if not mistake. However, you mentioned before also that the OTA itself gives 60dB, which means that your Pass transistor does not have any gain or the gain is so very low ? it is weird actually.

In deed the OTA's gain is around 60dB, the total LG is around 60-80dB which is with feedback factor about 0.5 (-6dB).

you should really ask yourself that: which pole should be the dominant one ?

Before compensated, the dominant pole located at output of OTA, which is around 2kHz and the second pole at output which is around 500khz, PM is around 10 degree.

After putting CC=10pF, the dominant pole still at output of the OTA.

I would compensate either by adding ESR (if permitted) in the output so a zero is created or use NMOS or native NMOS (if available) as your pass transistor

I'm not allowed to use external cap, only internal 100pF is allowed. Using NMOS is possible, but can the OTA work with output range 2.4~ 3.0(with NMOS's Vth=0.6V and VDD=2.4V) at all corner (even VDD_Supply=3.0v)? Please share your idea.

Now is my turn to explain something i have discovered.

I have realized that that the Trans result i have shown early is due to a current surge from the inverter, this is due to Vcm of LA =1.2v, at some case, it caused the inverter change the oparating region, when VDD3.3 ramp up hence VDD2.4 also, this (current surge) cause the LDO operate unusually (the gate and drain of the PMOS raise at same time).

To solve this problem, I have put additional Rmin resitor at the VDD24D, to make sure the minimum amount of current sink from the Pass Transistor, now, the "oscillation" thing has gone, the trade of is additional static current. I have attach a graph, which is I give a current pulse (10us rise/fall time) at the VDD24D without connecting inverter (I call it setup 4). You can see when the although the VDD24 has already stable, when there is a large current rise/fall fast, the VDD24 will fall/rise, which is out of the regulation. Maybe this is one of reason, why usually LDO put a large capacitor externally to prevent spike, is it? Maybe someone can explain this?

Hope someone can help, Thank you in advance

regards,
Smart

trans_pulse.JPG

Best Regards,
Smart
View Profile   IP Logged
taofeng

Belgium
Reply #16 - May 23rd, 2006, 6:43am

wheather or not out of regulation depends on you application, since this LDO is for digital power supply, then let's say within plus and minus 10% of 2.4V is tolerant. How is yours ?

Yes, for the traditioanl LDO design, large cap is needed to reduce the undershoot and overshoot during current ramp-on and off.  

Do you mean you add additional resistor to sink some current in the start-up simulation ? pls remember add a small resistor, means that the output resistance is reduced (since resistors are in parallel), which means that the output pole is shifted to high frequency. All means that your LDO is not stable enough, you can achieve stability by increase the value of compensation cap instead of increasing the quiescent current.  

how is the problem with open loop simulation? I mean the strange zero ...

best,

junfeng

View Profile   IP Logged
always@smart

ASIA
Reply #17 - May 23rd, 2006, 7:45am

Dear Jun Feng,

Thanks for quick response.

wheather or not out of regulation depends on you application, since this LDO is for digital power supply, then let's say within plus and minus 10% of 2.4V is tolerant. How is yours ?

As you can see from my previous transient simulation for setup3 (LDO with inverters, ramping VDD33), the VDD24 latch-up to about 2.8v, which is more than 10% of 2.4V.

Yes, for the traditioanl LDO design, large cap is needed to reduce the undershoot and overshoot during current ramp-on and off.

Do you mean spike?  

Do you mean you add additional resistor to sink some current in the start-up simulation ?

This additional Rmin resistor is to maintain a minimum amount of current sink from the PMOS, hence it will eliminate the large ouput impendance for low current load. This can prevent the ouput pole shifted to become dominant pole when low current load case. It's so far work for me, I will do more analyisis on this and tell u the details (this is one of the method written in a book).

you can achieve stability by increase the value of compensation cap instead of increasing the quiescent current.

I have tried a increase the CC to even 50pF, although AC analysis show good result (without inveters)  but still when comes to setup3 simulation, the "oscillation " still exist. At least so far adding the Rmin I see good result.

how is the problem with open loop simulation? I mean the strange zero ...

Sorry i haven't done this simulation. Can you please explain what is the setup for the open loop simulation?

How about your LDO design, any issue you face? Please share with me, maybe some hidden problems that i have not discovered

Best regards,
Smart

Best Regards,
Smart
View Profile   IP Logged
taofeng

Belgium
Reply #18 - May 23rd, 2006, 8:33am

As you can see from my previous transient simulation for setup3 (LDO with inverters, ramping VDD33), the VDD24 latch-up to about 2.8v, which is more than 10% of 2.4V.

this is kind of trade-off. Basically, from my point of view, this can be solved by:

1.  increasing the Cdeoupling(acting as energy reservior) . Since the 100pF is fixed, you have no choice.
2.  increasing the bandwidth of the loop(make it faster).  you have to increase the bias current (power increases)or decrease the CC, but there are stability risk associated with it.  
3.  increasing the size of pass transistor to see if it helps.
4.  to reduce the time of current ramp-on and ramp-off. But , it depends on your internal digital circuit. make some approximation about how fast you current ramp on in the worst case.

Do you mean spike?  

yes , I mean the spikes which is cased by the current ramp-on and ramp-off.

This additional Rmin resistor is to maintain a minimum amount of current sink from the PMOS, hence it will eliminate the large ouput impendance for low current load. This can prevent the ouput pole shifted to become dominant pole when low current load case. It's so far work for me, I will do more analyisis on this and tell u the details (this is one of the method written in a book).

I kind of understand the simulation of setup 3. It can be understood by the PSRR,I think. The Rmin you add is in parallel with RL, gives (Rmin//RL), which then is in series with the ouput impedance of pass transistor Ron, they act as a voltage divider before the loop is activated. Hence the smaller the Rmin you add , the smaller the volatage on VREG2.4 node.  Also increasing the time of power up to micro seconds, then see if there is different. 10ns is too fast.  

I have tried a increase the CC to even 50pF, although AC analysis show good result (without inveters)  but still when comes to setup3 simulation, the "oscillation " still exist. At least so far adding the Rmin I see good result.

increasing the CC has nothing to do with your PSRR(setup 3) before the loop is activate, this only makes loop slower, and hence cause the oscillation.

Sorry i haven't done this simulation. Can you please explain what is the setup for the open loop simulation?

it is not that difficult , I think , many book has such kind of configuration.  

How about your LDO design, any issue you face? Please share with me, maybe some hidden problems that i have not discovered

you can see the post I have put on, we have almost the same structure , but different problem.  any idea ??

regards,

Junfeng

View Profile   IP Logged
always@smart

ASIA
Reply #19 - May 23rd, 2006, 10:22am

Dear Jun Feng,

Let me clarify the setup of the open loop before i do it later (next morning).

setup 5.

1. break the feedback point. VP and resistive feedback.
2. give the Vp=Vn=1.2v (default dc point)
3. give Vp, ac=1
4. do ac analysis
5.check  the open loop gain/phase of the OTA (the first stage) and the open loop gain/phase @ VREG2.4 (which is the total gain of the 2-stage )

is this what you wanna see?

regards,
Smart

Best Regards,
Smart
View Profile   IP Logged
taofeng

Belgium
Reply #20 - May 23rd, 2006, 10:51am

yes , exactly right.

good luck,

Junfeng

View Profile   IP Logged
uncle_ezra
Community Member

Reply #21 - May 23rd, 2006, 5:43pm

I dont quite understand how you are breaking the loop. Usually you use a large inductor and capacitor together with an AC source to break the loop. The inductor is to provide dc bias while blocking the AC signal and the capacitor is used to couple the AC signal and block DC.

One other method is to use the iprobe in Cadence and run stability analysis. Either way works

View Profile   IP Logged
uncle_ezra
Community Member

Reply #22 - May 23rd, 2006, 6:03pm

A 2 stage amplifier using Miller compensation results in the following 2 poles:

p1=1/(gm*R1*R2*Cc)
p2=gm/(C1+C2)

Usually p1 would be dominant pole and p2 would be pushed beyong UGF. However in this case C1 and C2 are huge which would result in 2 poles system and hence unstable.

Does anyone agree with me or am I wrong?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
always@smart

ASIA
Reply #23 - May 23rd, 2006, 6:49pm

Usually you use a large inductor and capacitor together with an AC source to break the loop. The inductor is to provide dc bias while blocking the AC signal and the capacitor is used to couple the AC signal and block DC.

Yes, this method is so-called Middlebrook.

One other method is to use the iprobe in Cadence and run stability analysis. Either way works

I prefer this method (and I'm using it for stability check), someone has mention "iprobe" provide slightly better accuracy.

Regards,
Smart

Best Regards,
Smart
View Profile   IP Logged
always@smart

ASIA
Reply #24 - May 24th, 2006, 3:32am

Dear Jun Feng,

I have already simulate the Open loop gain and PM.

For the OTA A=60dB, BW=5.4k Ro=2.4Mohms, PM=80

For the 2-stage open loop, R0=28ohms, A=15dB (-44dB contribute by PMOS, since it's in linear gmRo=210u * 28ohms), PM=85.

What can you see from this info?

Regards,
Smart

Best Regards,
Smart
View Profile   IP Logged
taofeng

Belgium
Reply #25 - May 24th, 2006, 4:08am

would it be nice to post the simulation ?  

plot the gain/phase @  output of OTA  and @ VREG2.4

annotate what is the load condition.

good luck

View Profile   IP Logged
taofeng

Belgium
Reply #26 - May 24th, 2006, 4:34am

For the OTA A=60dB, BW=5.4k Ro=2.4Mohms, PM=80

something you need clarify:

BW=5.4k is the first dominant pole ?
Ro=2.4Mohms is the output impedance of OTA or your RLoad ?

For the 2-stage open loop, R0=28ohms, A=15dB (-44dB contribute by PMOS, since it's in linear gmRo=210u * 28ohms), PM=85.

I can not fully get it.  how come the total gain of the two stages becomes only 15dB ? it is too small, at least larger than 40dB. It is not good design at least in the load condition, what is your load in this case ? try to tune some parameters, I think the size of PMOS pass transistor is too small if not mistake ?

good luck

junfeng

View Profile   IP Logged
always@smart

ASIA
Reply #27 - May 24th, 2006, 6:54am

Dear Jun Feng,

BW=5.4k is the first dominant pole ?
Ro=2.4Mohms is the output impedance of OTA or your RLoad ?

It's the BW and R0 of the OTA, which is the frequency response at the output node folded-cascode.

how come the total gain of the two stages becomes only 15dB ? it is too small, at least larger than 40dB. It is not good design at least in the load condition, what is your load in this case ? try to tune some parameters, I think the size of PMOS pass transistor is too small if not mistake ?

THe Load is RL which connecting inverters. The reason behind this is , I open the loop an give vn=vp=1.2v, and vp ac=1, the loop now is completely open, there is no feedback which is adjust the dc point. the current flow tru the PMOS is around 130uA and VDD24 =135uA * 24k=3.28v and the PMOS has gone to linear region, which then provides small gm. (It won't happen like this in actually circuit with feedback, the PMOS will be always in saturation).

Do you have to make sure all the MOS still in saturation even in open loop circuit?

Regards,
Smart

Best Regards,
Smart
View Profile   IP Logged
always@smart

ASIA
Reply #28 - May 24th, 2006, 6:57am

would it be nice to post the simulation ?  

plot the gain/phase @  output of OTA  and @ VREG2.4  

annotate what is the load condition.

Sorry but I have to post the graph that you wanted to see tomorrow with  the circuit setup if nessasary.

Regards
Smart

Best Regards,
Smart
View Profile   IP Logged
uncle_ezra
Community Member

Reply #29 - May 24th, 2006, 5:32pm

Your loop gain is too low. Please check your DC operating point and make sure your PMOS is in saturation.

The loop gain equation is gm1*R1*gm2*Z*R1/(R1+R2)

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.