The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 30th, 2024, 11:12am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
About noise cancel problem (Read 1740 times)
cowell

World
About noise cancel problem
Jun 06th, 2006, 7:15pm

does anybody read "wide-band cmos Low-Noise amplifier exploiting thermal noise canceling", published in IEEE on Feb,2004 ?
i'm so confused by his explanation in the paragraph of "noise canceling principle".
where he said the noises result from Rs and In,tr(transistor's noise current) can be cancelled while the noise of R cannot.
i can understand to a extent that the In,tr can be cancelled. But for the Rs, whose noise calculation is same totally to the signal calculation,
that is to say, the noise yielded by Rs on the Node X and Node Y should have opposite sign. This conclusion is different for the author.
Besides, i cannot understand clearly why the Noise of R cannot be cancelled.
I will appreciat it if anybody could patiently give me some hints about this.
thanks in advance.

View Profile cowell   IP Logged
mkaragou

Germany Soest
Re: About noise cancel problem
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2006, 3:34am

If you model the noise of the resistor R between Gate and Drain of the transistor in Fig 3. a) by a noisless resitor with a noisy current source in parallel you can break up this current source in two current sources, one connected at the gate and one on the source. For an examplanation why this is possible, take a look at the figure A.1-8 in appendix A of Allen,Holberg CMOS Analog Circuit Design 2nd edition.

Now, the current source connected to the drain is in parallel with the transitor and so the current source noise contribution is canceled in the same way as the noise contribution of the transistor. The other current soure connected to the gate is connected in parallel to the voltage source Vs which can be transformed to a equivalent current source also. So the noise conrtibution of this current source is magnified in the same way as the input signal.

Hence the noise of the feedback resistor R cannot be canceled.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.