The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 5:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Surge/ESD Protection for RF circuit (Read 2191 times)
hrkhari

Surge/ESD Protection for RF circuit
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:20am

Hi Guys:

When I design the RF circuit, I would include a reversed biased diode model at the I/O port for surge protection. This is illustrated in Figure.1 where a complete I/O model used is presented.

I had received a feedback for an ESD designer to increase the number of series connected diodes to decrease the effective capacitance at the I/O for RF signals, is it advisable to do so?.

I had also received an advise from the foundry to include a p-n junction reversed biased diode at each of the transistor gates in the circuit ad in Figure. 2. Is it advisable to do so?. Would it effect the performance of the designed circuit?.

I highly appreciate your kind assistance. Thanks in advance

Rgds
Harikrishnan

Project2.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
milkdragon

RF idiot

Re: Surge/ESD Protection for RF circuit
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2006, 10:34am

Yes, it does affect the performance of the circuit.  Stacking up more diode is to prevent any forward biasing it with a large signal, of course, at the expense of the ESD performance.  Typically trade off is made here on the RF performance and the ESD performance.  The foundry was rite by putting one more diode near the gate for CDM clamp for further protection.  However, typically it is used in conjunction with some resistance between I/O pad and the input device.  If CDM is your concern, then you should add this diode.  However, as far as i know, most people ignore it for RF operation.

View Profile milkdragon   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.