The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 9:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
choosing IC packages and sockets (Read 2162 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

choosing IC packages and sockets
Jun 13th, 2006, 6:52am

Hi,

I would like to know if there are any good references on choosing IC packages for use in high-performance designs? I have some appnoteson PCB design which discuss the matter very briefly but no reference which offers a good comparison between the various leadless packages available these days.

My interest is primarily in choosing a package for lab evaluations, and so ceramic packages are ok. The other point concerns IC sockets. Ideally, one would directly mount a very good package on the PCB. However, this makes life hard if one is trying to do lab evaluations and needs to do tests on various parts. Most of the IC sockets that I have come across are bad enough that the benefits of using the best of packages are lost.

How should one approach these two issues in order to get the best performance out of a chip?

Thanks
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
huber
Community Member

GO BEARS!

Los Angeles
Re: choosing IC packages and sockets
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2006, 12:53pm

Hi Vivek,
I am under the impression that BGAs provide the lowest inductance package for reasonably high pin count, but like you I don't really have a reference that confirms this assumption.  I know you can get reasonably good BGA sockets but be prepared to shell out around $500 for one.  I've also seen flip-chip sockets that don't even require a package but I have no idea of their price/performance.
Good luck!
-Dan

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.